pepper4
Green Thumb

Green Bean germination

This is a dumb :?: but I was wondering if anyone could tell me approximant germanation time for great lake bush beans. Somehow my bean packet got thrown away. Just wondering when to expect some action. :oops:

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Shouldn't take to long. How are you trying to germinate them? If you place them in a bag with sprinkle of water they should be germinating in no more than a week. However if you stick them in a propagator they would probably only take like 3 to maybe 5 days if that. 8)

pepper4
Green Thumb

Ok maybe I didn't word that :?: right. I mound planted outside from seed this past Saturday . I was wondering when I could expect to see some growth :?: Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Being outside complicates it. Could be any time from 5 days to never :? Depends on temperatures, water, etc etc. With any luck and some warmth and moisture 5-7 days. If it's very cold (we are having unseasonably cold here in southern ohio) that will slow the process down. If they get frozen, washed out, dried out, eaten by critters or any of the myriad of disasters that can happen, then never and you have to start over. :cry: Why I would never want to be an actual farmer with my livelihood depending on this stuff..

applestar
Mod

I planted Provider -- a cold tolerant variety bush beans (resists rotting in cold soil the catalog description said) -- back in April 2, just for kicks. I kept the area covered with a floating cover until last weekend when we had hot sunny days. They've almost all sprouted now -- started pushing up a couple of days ago. That's about 20 days, but you have to remember we've had some cold weather including low 30's for a while.

Beans planted in the fully warm 60º+ soil come up within 1 week. With the warmer spring weather on the way, I would expect growth around here after around 10 days~2 wks. I'm in Zone 6b. Zone to zone variance is about 10ºF, between 6a and 6b is about 5ºF.

Earl K
Green Thumb

I planted Kentucky Wonder pole beans bout two weeks ago .They were put in a divider tray with soil and they popped up in three days,wow was I suprised how quick that was. Today I noticed that they are now starting to vine up.Also noticed my first zuchini.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”