mike in pa
Newly Registered

Onions came up from last year ... question

Question: What's the deal with onions coming up from last year? Will they produce well??

I know certain items will "reseed". We've all had tomatoes, lettuce, etc. come up from previous years. Sometimes though hybrids will grow but not produce the same. I don't even know if these are hybrids or not.

I had garlic, bulb onion and seed onion in the same area last year. This is onion growing in straight line in bunches of 10-20. I have a lot of "wild" onion in the area but that's not this. Whats your take on this? Should I take all of the time to separate and transplant? Will it grow bulbs or good greens? What's it from?

Thanks a lot.
mike

mike in pa
Newly Registered

Thanks. I'm so glad I tried this site!

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Give it some time man, people will post to ya sooner or later :). My onions always come up from the last year, I let them grow. They taste just the same. However if you did plant garlic in the same spot, I'm not sure what to tell you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeez... you were getting impatient because no one answered in a few hours? I haunt this site way more than I should, and still I can't do that. :) I don't really know the answers to your questions except that I do know that onions and garlic both readily over-winter and will still be the same as they were.

Timlin

Yes let them grow and enjoy! I have onions I leave in the garden every year and we have lovely greens early in the spring from those. (carrots will overwinter and be juicy and lovely sometimes too)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”