yfs1
Newly Registered

Complete Newbie Question about Soil

Hello,

When planting flowers I previously just bought the big bale of compressed compost and added a sprinkling of the little balls that time release the good stuff.

For vegetables, should I be mixing in soil. As I'm container planting I don't have loads of soil around (I would have to dig holes in my neighbours lawns). Should I actually buy soil to mix into the compost or is compost alone good enough?

I realize its a pretty simple question which I should already know.

Thanks

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

For growing in containers you want to use potting mix especially made for that because it is almost entirely organic matter and light, moisture retentive minerals like vermiculite and perlite. Bagged topsoil or potting soil usually contains sand and maybe some clay, making it heavier and less water retentive than potting mixes, which also tends to make it water log in the bottom of the pot. Potting mixes also often have lime added to adjust the ph long term, otherwise the pH can change over a few months and inhibit the growth of the plants. They also may have wetting agents to aid in fast, even water absorbtion.

yfs1
Newly Registered

That makes sense....It might be thats exactly what I am using (It absorbs a ton of water)

I'll ask about a "potting mix" in the garden center tommorow though to make sure.

Thank you

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are using any compost, you definitely need to mix it with topsoil and/or potting soil. The compost by itself tends to compact and get very heavy and dense....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”