BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Where I am going to place this is right on top of the 20 x 20 area of dirt I have already out there from past gardens (goes about 15-18 inches down before it hits clay). Wouldn't the roots penetrate into that dirt if they needed to go any further, I know its not ideal. Should I till the dirt I have there then place the raised beds over top? The dirt isn't bad, a lot of nutrients have been put from past years. Thanks for the quick reply by the way :D.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sorry about the gravel... I had to have it because most of my raised beds are sitting on my concrete patio, which was the main flat sunny area I had. If you have the luxury of gardening on actual dirt it's different :) My boxes are built of stacked 4X4 fence posts. They are pretty cheap and last forever. I found that the boxes I built from boards in the past tended to fall apart after a few seasons. These are still going strong eight yrs later. Stack them up into box shape (mine are 4 high so 16" -- again gardening on concrete the boxes need to be tall), get a long drill bit, drill through the stack and pound rebar into the hole. They are VERY solid. Then I stained and varnished them. They are very nice looking, you can sit on the edge. I like them. Some day I'll get it together to post pics.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Yeah, I would love to see some pictures! I'll keep you informed how the whole raised bed thing works out. I'll post some pictures...

Timlin

And if you have a chance to build a compost pile it works perfectly for planting your squash into. Our compost piles are always a wonder of green and beautiful squash ......saves space in the gardens and we have squash to last the winter most years.

I make a compost pile in the late fall, in the spring I use all the compost we've been collecting all winter and turn the two piles together.......in a day or two I add the squash plants and the heating of the pile really moves them along. It's perfect!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”