The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep, moisture can be a killer when they are young; damping off is the usual suspect in seedling mortality...

Leaf
Newly Registered

K thanks.

I spray the area around the stem with a spray bottle, then lightly pour water on the same spot (so the poured water doesn't drain away). Sometimes they collapse.

So should I just be spraying the area around the seedling, without watering down to their roots, or should I spray long enough that the water drains to the roots?

I'd like to use the mat idea, but I have them planted in fours, in 18"/7galon plastic pots.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Don't worry about lack of moisture, just spray instead of watering. A little less moisture will cause roots to stretch looking for more, and growth pretty much happens in one direction or another, so this might even help some with the stretching. With seedlings it is better to err to dry rather than wet...

If you are really concerned about drying out a humidifier near the plants, or better yet, under a plastic shett with them (humidity tent) will prevent drying out, but now we have to worry more about damping off. I'd just try the spray bottle for a while...

HG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”