hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

What is a near perfect meal?

For me, that happens during the summer when about 90% of everything on the plate comes from the garden. The season is now underway. Tonight's meal. Fresh salad greens from the garden: lettuce, arugula, spinach mix. Home made basil soup. Cheated on that as the tomatoes came from a can. Second course, home made potato soup using store bought spuds and other ingredients. Fresh from the garden steamed turnip greens blended with some swiss chard. Sides of radishes from the garden and fresh cucumbers from the local farmer's market. And of course scratch cornbread compliments of the wife.

As the season progresses, more and more of the items on the plate will be coming from the garden. Can't wait on the first tomatoes, perhaps in two weeks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's wonderful being further south.... someday I want to live somewhere with a longer growing season! I love the meals out the garden. Since I have such limited sunny growing space, I supplement what I can grow with CSA -- community supported agriculture. That means I buy a share of everything that is produced on a local farm just outside of town. I pay money, but also some work days through the season. That way I too can eat 90% organic, locally grown, that I contributed to, even if it isn't from my very own garden.

elevenplants

The salads we've been having for a couple of weeks are pretty high on the list of my favorite meals right now, simply because they are THERE, they are FRESH, they are HEALTHY, and most of all....they are MINE! 8) :flower:

They consist of the heatwave lettuce blend, tender young radish greens, young spinach and mustard, and basil, into which are mixed perfect-sized radishes and baby carrots, and green onions! Could only be improved by the addition of fresh tomatoes.....and that can't be soon enough to suit me!

Mmmmmmmmm!

Rebecca

pepper4
Green Thumb

I would say my meal would be sweet corn on the cob dripping with butter, an onion/cucumber salad, grilled bbq ribs (gotta have my meat and love those ribs) topped with a fresh melon salad. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”