AkinaGod
Newly Registered

Cat Grass and Veggies

I am trying to start a small indoor garden that is about 30 cm long by 10 cm wide by 10 cm deep. I am having issues finding a lighting system for it though and not sure what I need to get. I went to Lows today and found some bulbs but they were non specific about the range of light to a plant/plants the bulb reaches. So I don't know if I need more than one. didn't tell me how much sunlight it mimics per hour so I know how long it needs to be on. Need some help on this one. I live in a very dark apartment because I have only 1 window. Any idea on what I should do for indoor growing of vegies and cat grass? Vegies will consist of cucumbers and carrots and probably radishes down the road.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

I had a good site that explained the different light wave lengths and what plant needed what wavelength but now I can't seem to find it back. But from what I recall your standard cheep florescent bulb usually puts off a 3000 deg Kelvin (3000K) which is usually called your "warm" light. Warm because it gives off a warm light color not a warm temp. These are good for starting seeds and most cool weather plants I believe. Then you have you "cool" white lights that are usually around 4200K and you have your "Day Light" lights which are the 6500K. Which if I'm not mistaking will be good for most indoor plants. They do make one's more targeted toward flowering plants and leaf plants if you want to get really detailed.

Hopefully in the near future LEDs will become more available in the needed wave lengths. These I've heard can be really precise for exactly what they are intended for and can create great veggies all indoor.

Hopefully this helps. And other gardeners feel free to correct anything I put down. I'm still learning too so I've may of misstated something.

AkinaGod
Newly Registered

smokensqueal wrote:I had a good site that explained the different light wave lengths and what plant needed what wavelength but now I can't seem to find it back. But from what I recall your standard cheep florescent bulb usually puts off a 3000 deg Kelvin (3000K) which is usually called your "warm" light. Warm because it gives off a warm light color not a warm temp. These are good for starting seeds and most cool weather plants I believe. Then you have you "cool" white lights that are usually around 4200K and you have your "Day Light" lights which are the 6500K. Which if I'm not mistaking will be good for most indoor plants. They do make one's more targeted toward flowering plants and leaf plants if you want to get really detailed.

Hopefully in the near future LEDs will become more available in the needed wave lengths. These I've heard can be really precise for exactly what they are intended for and can create great veggies all indoor.

Hopefully this helps. And other gardeners feel free to correct anything I put down. I'm still learning too so I've may of misstated something.
Do you have any brand names that you prefer? And where can I get these bulbs?

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Most any place should have them. I'm surprised you didn't find any at Lowes. I have no preferred brand. I know I've seen the Compact Florescent and even 4 ft shop lights at (I hate to say it but Wal-Mart) and my local Ace hardware and other hardware stores.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”