applestar
Mod

Tips for growing peanuts?

I decided to try growing peanuts this year. I bought Tennessee Red Valencia.
I was going to grow them near the potatoes, but after reading some more, decided to grow them on the soil mounds surrounding the Rice Paddy at the SSW corner of the house with the Honey Dew and Charentais melons at the base of the mounds. I will have to build a fence around the entire area to keep out rabbits, etc. So I may even try to wrap plastic or row cover all the way around -- that may increase the heat level. I may or may not put up hoops and cover the top -- The rice paddy will fill from the rain gutter with every rainfall, but I think I'd like them to get rained on as wel.... Both melons and peanuts will be started indoors last weekend of April and planted out on last weekend of May.

Melons will be harvested first, then the peanuts, then the rice.... So *I think* that should work out well.

I'm a bit concerned about squirrels and chipmunks....
As this is my first try, any growing tips and suggestions would be very welcome! Thanks! :D

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

my only tip is that they need super-friable soil, since each flower will need to penetrate the soil to make nuts...heavy clay around where I am has posed a few problems.

2cents
Green Thumb

Almost pure sand works well.
They need a long warm growing season, so don't expect huge results.
But, they come up by the bunches(mine were small).
Read up on this to determine best conditions.
Good luck

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”