dirtygurl
Newly Registered

Indoor Garden Kit

I am new to sowing seeds indoor. I bought the greenhouse kit ok... I am terrible with measurements, I guessed how deep each seed was to planted! That's probably wrong there already. Maybe someone has a nifty way to do that.
Anyways I like step by step instructions. Do I have to put the dome with the heating pad under the shop light? I just started the seeds 3 days ago.
Thanks Ya'l
bury me in my garden

kylie77

I'm also new

I am new too and this is my first year growing from seed. I've been getting lots of great advice on here so thought I better at least try to share some of the limited knowledge I have!

From what I know you don't need to have the lights on until your seeds pop up. There are some plants that need light to germinate though, so would need light from the start. It depends on what you're growing. For the seeds that don't need light to germinate, just put them on the heating pad and keep the dome on. They need it moist and warm.

I put mine all on top of my fridge and it was perfect!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Kylie did great and so will you. Just like she said...

HG
Scott Reil

dirtygurl
Newly Registered

Thanks for the tips folks much appreciated. Some of the seeds are popping up now. Yippee. The cucumbers are huge where do they go now?
The other seeds are still small. What an adventure!
bury me in my garden

kylie77

:),

Isn't it exciting watching your seeds grow?! I've been loving it. The beginning was the best as things just happen so fast! I was checking every couple of hours to watch the changes! lol

I was also shocked at how fast the cucumbers and zucchini grew. I think they were only 4 days old before I had to move them to something bigger. I just popped them in disposable cups. Make sure to poke some holes in the cups though. I put holes in the bottom and around the side near the bottom. Also if you use plastic make sure not to water them too much. I just use a spray bottle and water them that way. Just a few squirts here and there. I watered them once by pouring a small amount of water on them and it was too much. So far so good as I haven't had any 'dampen off'. That's what I'm paranoid about! I've found it hard to know exactly how much water they need, but they seem to be doing well so I can't be doing too badly!

Show us some pics of your seedlings if you get a chance!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Kylie's right; overwatering and damping off is the enemy so little bits of water regularly...

Yeah, the squash and cukes are fast; dixie cups will keep 'em for a little while longer. Hang in, warm weather is coming...

HG
Scott Reil

dirtygurl
Newly Registered

I will try the plastic cup and keep my dirty fingernails crossed.
I will take some pics for sure. I watch the seeds grow too, it must be gardeners OCD. Thanks again kylie and HG.

DG and her seedlings.
bury me in my garden

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”