Jeff H

Planet Jr, what size hole to use for planting veggies

I just bought a Cole Planet Jr. The seed table does not show what hole I need to use for planting the following seed...okra, southern peas (pink eye purple hull) and bush snap beans (roma II), does anyone have experience using the planter with these vegetables and can they share their findings? I did call the factory this morning and the lady said if the seed was not listed on the seed chart, I would have to experiment. I am willing to do that but I would also like to draw off someone elses experience.

Thank You,
Jeff H

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Have no idea what that thing is. Can you give us a link to a picture of it?

Jeff H

Sure, here it is.

[img]https://www.coleplanter.com/Assets/PlanetJr/seederA.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.coleplanter.com/Assets/PlanetJr/seederB.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.coleplanter.com/Assets/PlanetJr/seederC.jpg[/img]

Thanks

moderator note: fixed/added photos.

2cents
Green Thumb

Never used one of them fancy gadgets like that there planter thing.
But, Grandpa was a farmer....
rule of thumb; plant your seed 2 - 4 times deeper than the diamater of the seed. stay in that range and you can't go wrong.
if the pea is 1/8 of an inch in diameter, put down 1/4- 1/2 inch deep.
if the bean is 1/4 inch, plant 1/2 to 1 inch. if 1/2 bean, go down 1-2 inch.
mini seeds(I.e. lettuce), just lightly rake em into the soil or broad cast on top and water them into the dirt.

Dad used to say everything at least 1/2 inch. The taller and heavier the plant, like corn and they go at least 4 times the diameter of the seed.

My experience the big seeds germinate just fine upto 3 inches deep, it just takes longer for them to come up.
Personally I like the 2-4 times the diameter and support the plants later with hoeing dirt up against them.

Okra is a heavier plant, but a small seed. So I would hoe a furrow 2-3 inches deep and 2-3 inches wide(so rain won't wash dirt in and smother them), but only cover them 1/4-1/2 inch and over time you can hoe more dirt on the plant stems for support.

Good luck

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have no idea what a Cole Planet Jr. is?

I do not plant in holes, I plant is rows. Till the dirt to make sure it is broken up real nice. You do not want dirt clods. Use a string to make straight rows. Use a hoe to scrap a 2" deep place in the dirt. Drop the beans, okra, corn, etc. in the rows. Corn and okra seeds 4" apart, beans 3" apart. Cover the seeds with 2" of loose dirt. Your finished. Do not water, let mother nature take it from here.

Jeff H

I may have asked my questions in a confusing way. The planet Jr actually opens the ground, drops the seed, covers the seed and then firms the ground on the seed. The hole I am refering to is the hole in the seed plate. The planter comes with three seed plates and each plate has thirteen holes in it. Each hole is a different size so you can plant very tiny seed up to pretty large seed.You align the proper hole with the opening shoe, depending on the seed size. This planter is actually different than a planter like an international 800 series were as the seed plate actually turns and drop seed that are laying in notches. The planet jrs plate does not turn, there is a small paddle in the seed hopper that brushes the seed into the hole in the seed plate and then it drops into the opening shoe.

:)

Jeff H

Am I the only guy with a planet Jr??

:?: :?: :?:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Maybe so Jeff...

S'okay, we still accept you, despite your new fangled gadget (it doesn't LOOK like a new fangled gadget).

:lol:

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Lehman's in Ohio (lehmans.com) offers "Lehman's Best Garden Seeder," whose description sounds very like your device. "Every seed is planted at the correct depth and spacing...seed dispenser...does all the work" and so on.

Six plates come with the seeder (but their names and sizes aren't provided in the catalogue; maybe on the website or by telephone?). These additional plates are also offered, for additional $:

Lima bean plate
Cucumber plate
Popcorn plate
Lettuce plate
Boccoli plate

Dimensions: 30" Long, 36" High, 9 lb weight

Maybe Lehman's can give you some guidance. :fingers crossed for you:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like a good lead; nice work Cynthia!

HG

John M
Newly Registered

I am considering buying a Planet Jr. Do you mind telling me what the cost is?

Also, I found it unusual that the online manual did not list corn in the hole size chart. Certainly the planter can handle sweet corn??

Jeff H

The planter cost me just over $600 new.
I called Cole before I bought the planter and asked them about using it to plant sweet corn. I actually called them last spring and this spring. The answer I got was not very solid. The lady told me both times that they have customers that report using the planter for sweet corn if you drill out one of the holes in one of the plates. Sweet corn is not smooth and uniform like some of the round seed. This tends to lead me to believe that it would not spill out of the hole very well. I did not plant my sweet corn with this planter, I actually used an IH 800 series no till planter. The IH planter did an excellent job with seed depth, seed spacing and uniform pressing of the soil on top of the seed. The Planter Jr. is a seed drill unlike a precision planter. I think this is one reason the corn is not listed on the seed table. I paid $9.95 per pound for sweet corn this year and I bought 5 pounds. At that price and the way the planet jr. drills seed I feel that it would creat a lot of seed waste and thinning when the corn starts to grow. Over several years the cost would add up. The planet Jr comes with three seed disks. Each disk has holes that progressively get larger. This gives a total of around 39 different size holes. You align one of the holes in the bottom of the seed hopper. Just above the hole is a wavey washer that is about 2 inches in diameter. It is mounted on a horiziontal shaft. This washer spins and rakes seed over and into the hole in the seed disk. The seed disk does not spin. Thus you are only spilling seed into a vee that the shoe creats in the soil. After the seed spills into the vee, the covering device does a good job of putting soil over the seed and then the press wheel does a nice job of firming the ground over the seed. The seed is distributed pretty well because you are pushing the planter along the row as the seed is spilled out. Hope this helps.

Jeff H

John M
Newly Registered

Thanks. A sales rep. at Cole told me yesterday that the Planet Jr. does not have a plate for sweet corn. $600 is too much for a small garden anyway. I am going to drop it by hand. I appreciate your prompt reply.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That looks like a nice unit. My guess is that it will plant most garden seeds. I think you will just have to experiment. I have never had hands on that model. It should last you your lifetime and make planting a breeze.

Jeff H

You are welcome. Another recommendation...earthway sells a pretty nice little planter for around $75-$100. It comes with several plastic plates. Each plate has small seed cells around the rim. This type of planter is pretty precision when new. It would take several years of small garden use to cause the alumnium side wall and plates to wear to the point that would render the planter ulesess. Each plate is pretty specific for the seed to use and it even has the seed variety molded into the side of the plate. I think it comes with at least 5 plates. One plate is designated for sweet corn also. The planter is small and lightweight but well worth the money. You can also buy this planter with the fertilizer hopper or buy the hopper as an attachment. Hope this helps!

Jeff H

tony d
Newly Registered

the first thing to check is the adjitater, the paddle in the seed box. there 3 available. 10039x for small seeds looks like a little round brush. K817 for medium seeds, has a crinkle edge when looking down on it. K720 looks like a spiral ribbon for large seeds. using the wrong adjitater will break seeds. the K720 will work with everything down to carrot.
the seed plates, if you turn them over you will see that the hole is slightly countersunk which will allow more seeds to flow through than the top side.
with the seed box out the frame choose a hole that the seeds will pass through easily put a few seeds in the box and turn drive shaft a watch to see if any seeds jam or break when they flow through the hole. adjust the seed plate untill they flow through easily. remount the seed box in the frame. remove the opener plow. lay a piece of carpet on the ground. push the seeder along the carpet ( the living room will do as long as the wife is out shopping) put yard stick beside the seeds that have fallen, count the seeds and divide by 3 and then you will have the seed count per foot then adjust the seed plate. larger for more. smaller for less. REMEMBER the countersunk side of the plate drops more seed.
if you need any more help ask roger at helpfull gardener for my email address and I will send you copies of the parts list that I have.
your planet jr was an invesment, mine is over 60 years old seeded 20 acres a year and still works. I hope this helps. all the best tony d

rootsy
Green Thumb

I have an earthway that I use once in a great while. works well in loose non compacted soil... Rocks are a PITA... The only complaint about the earthway is that it is light, made from aluminum and polymer... I added 15 lbs of lead to mine... With all of the plates they offer you can plant many things... but it still is just a plate planter and multiples are very common unless your seed exactly fits the plate you are using. Also plants pretty heavily so you have to use some modeling clay or tape to block off unwanted holes in the plates...

Doubt I'll even get it out and use it this year... I mostly just use it for small test plots and what not but I am not planting rows of any seed this year...

Jeff H

Thanks Tony...I have the wavey disc in the seed hopper. It seems to handle the seed well except corn seed. I poured a few in the hopper to see how well it would work. I have another planter I use for corn so that is not a problem. I appreciate the info on determining which hole to use. I was beginning to wonder if anyone on the fourm was using a planet jr. I plante six double rows of beans yesterday and I still had a fear that I was not familiar enough with the planet jr so I used my corn planter. I have some more okra to plant so I will use your recommendation on choosing the proper hole.

Thanks!!

cassidja
Newly Registered

I have an old (60+ years) Planet Jr. Model 300 that works great however, it is missing the seed covering arms that push the soil over the planted furrow. Anyone know where I can get parts for an old unit like mine?

Also, looking for alternative seed agitator wheels for it.

Love this thing!

Thanks!

James

tony d
Newly Registered

in answer to your question regarding the seed coverers, and adjitators. there are 2 coverers available, 8695X used with wide seed opening plows, 8915X used with narrower seed plows.
there are 3 adjitators available, 537A a brush for small seeds, K817 a crinkle shape for medium seeds, K730 a spiral ribbon used for larger seeds, but I have seen these used for carrot seeds.
when I lived in Canada I bought my supplies from John C Graham 905 326 5051 in leamington ontairio.
the main suppliers are cole planter company 229 888 2032.
John C Graham has been in business for more than 60 years and has many parts in stock which are now obsolete so if cole do not have the parts in stock try them. Nancy Graham who runs the company is very knowlegable she has worked with her father and grandfather who started the company in the early 1900's

hope this helps tony d

cassidja
Newly Registered

That's great info tony d. Thanks!

James

FarmerJ
Newly Registered

Planet Jr. is the best vegetable planter I have found. Simply find the hole on plates that seed will just fit through with out sticking. Mine is tractor mounted,We pant a variety of vegetables for home use ,corn and greens for cash crops. One planet jr. mounted on the front cultivator frame of a Super AV Farmall plants up to 20 acres of corn or greens, with precision.Earthway can not keep up,when they went from the metal back to the plastic we had static electical problems and seeds stuck to the hopper. We then went from using 3 earthway push planters to one planet jr and just love it

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”