Rob
Cool Member

Onions grown with bulbs above ground

I've seen quite a few images of onions growing with the bulbs completely out of the ground, but the roots in the earth.

Can this be done with any onion, or are special varieties being used?
Do the onions just bulb out that way or is the gardener planting them high in the soil and/ or perhaps clearing soil away from the bulbs as they grow?

It's aesthetically very appealing in the garden, and the end results a beautifully formed onions.

Any thoughts, expert opinions, or blah blah blah's?

Thanks.

Rob
Cool Member

Here's an example:

[img]https://www.allotment-diary.co.uk/DSC01182.JPG-for-web-large.jpg[/img]

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I am not 100% sure on this one, but I always plant my onions and almost cover them. I believe they grow bigger and faster this way maybe, when you allow them more space?

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

My onions are partially exposed, yours almost looks like the entire bulb is...
My first year growing onions so I searched around and found this on
oniongardening.com

Quote " Another way to harvest is to start the curing process by partially removing the onions from the ground, leaving part of the bulb exposed. The onions will begin to dry out and cure while still in place. You should cure your onions at least two weeks and in some cases it is recommendable to cure them a full month"
[/url]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Just another way to get things done... :)

This isn't science, it's art and no two artists look exactly the same. But it's a lot of fun to pick up style pointers from the other artists...

Thanks atascosa!

HG

Rob
Cool Member

Ok, thanks for the input everyone.
Just in case there was any misunderstanding, those pics are not my onions, just pics that I've found online.
Seems like maybe growing the onions out above ground allows them to expand out and round up plumply. No earth or rocks to make them kind of "lumpy" and contained.

Adrien

Onions can be started 3 ways: by sets (tiny bulbs), by transplants and direct seeding. Transplant grown onions are the type you see pushing up out of the ground. I've noticed that deeper planting results in longer, narrow bulbs while shallow planting tends to produce flatter bulbs.

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

Anytime HG...

I decided to take a pic of my onions to show the partially exposed bulbs..
These were planted in mid January as sets...some are not pushing through and some are. The greens are huge! I'm not an avid onion grower but from what I studied up on is there are 2 types of onions...long day and short day.
Short day does fine down south and long day up north.
Here in TX I have dark clay...not the best for growing onions..too hard and compact...took 3 seasons of adding compost and gypsum to finally make it workable..though it's still no where near ready for growing onions.
I had to resort to containers for growing onions and success!
Now I can finally claim that everything that goes into my salsa is home grown...only thing I was lacking was the onions.

[img]https://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/atascosa_tx/APR112009gardenonions.jpg[/img]

Happy Gardening and Bountiful Harvest!

wildferalfemme
Newly Registered

My onions grow aboveground every year, doesn't seem to make a difference although my red onions, which are barely growing, don't do this. I live in western Mass/New England.
Attachments
image (46).jpg

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have grown walla transplants and Spanish sets. I start them in the ground and mulch them to keep them moist and get roots started. Then I pull back the mulch and a little dirt so they sit on top about halfway. I get bigger bulbs this way. It also depends on the moisture. When its dry I might push the mulch back for a week or two until we get some rain.

Meme
Cool Member

This is really interesting. I have planted onions, first time ever, this year. I just planted them under the soil. Never thought of having them like this. I will gently pull some up to stay as shown here on the surface, then leave some under the soil.
It will be interesting to then see how they all turn out. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I expect these were planted buried a little bit and then grew themselves out of the soil.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, pretty common to have most of the onion bulb above ground. I believe they form up nicer this way. Perhaps even get larger?

When planting the little onion sets, just put them deep enough that they will stay put. I usually just barely cover them. This puts the root node just about an inch or less deep. As the bulb forms most of it will be above ground.

Let them grow until some of the tops fall over. When about one fourth of the tops have tipped, knock all of the tops down. Now let them stay there like that for a week for the tops to start to dry up, then pull all the onions and leave them lay on the ground or bring them into a shed and spread them out to dry further. When the tops are very dry and shriveled up at the bulb cut them off and rub the roots off and you can now store them. Onions properly dried, will store in a cool dry place for several months, perhaps till spring. I just leave them in a cardboard box in the garage until the weather gets real cold then bring them into the basement.

Of course the whole onion plant is edible and can be harvested at any time for kitchen use.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”