Venomous_1
Cool Member

Help with Cauliflower

HELP! I started my cauliflower from seed about 6-7 weeks ago. Started off great, quickly outgrowing the small starter pots. I then transplanted to larger pots and they continued to do great for several weeks now.

However, just in the past few days I've noticed that the leaves are starting to curl and wilt a little. It seems to have gotten worse each day over the past several days. I keep them under the same lighting as all the other starter plants (brocolli, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.) and none of the other plants are suffering.

I am getting ready to put these in the ground next week, but am wondering if they will make it until then or if I need to do something else. I can't put them in the ground early because we still have one more frost warning for Monday.

What am I doing wrong?

applestar
Mod

First time growing cauliflower myself, but I've put mine outside (after hardening them off) already because I had to make room for the tomatoes and peppers. Also in 6b. Most of them are under double layer of floating covers and I also gave the 4'x6' raised bed some extra protection by bungee-cording clear plastic egg cartons all around the fence surrounding it. We've had of nights in the past couple of weeks (don't exactly remember when) and I just put an extra layer of heavy garden cover (called garden quilt) on top for the night. My DH is rolling his eyes at me because I keep going outside in the dark with a flashlight (I REALLY have to install a light out there :lol: ) to tuck my veggies in. :wink:

Another protective measure you could use is soda bottoles and milk jugs with their bottoms cut off -- leave the cap open. I use them for isolated plants, but they do tend to blow away in the wind. I've considered punching holes in the bottom and using ground staples to hold them down, but haven't tried that yet.

Also, for a while when the tomatoes and cauliflower/cabbage/broccoli were sharing the Grow Light Area, I was using heat (holiday lights) under the tomatoes but no heat for the coles. The difference was 50~65º for the coles and 65~80º for the tomatoes. Could your growing area be too warm?

Good luck!

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

very gently pop them out of their pots and check to see if they getting root bound...if so..pot them up to a larger container.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”