green~acres

Wild Onions

Are those wild onions that are sprouting up all over the yard, the kind you can eat or are they not? Thanks, Julie

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Use them all the time myself...

Allium is a big genus with lots of different types, and they are mostly edible... CHives area great and there are different ones with different flavors. The wild ones are prettty strong, but my favorite A. tuberosum or garlic chives has a nice hint of garlic as well...
HG

2cents
Green Thumb

Last week a friend(new to gardening) stopped with his son. He asked what they were.
I just pulled some up and shared them on the spot. We ate them without the benefit of a water wash.
he loved it and walked around with the greens haging out of his mouth like a piece of hay.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If it looks like an onion, (Onions are layered.) and smells like an onion, it is an onion. Yes, onions are edible.

Some things that look like onions have a solid bulb. Be careful there, some are poisonous. These do not have the onion smell.

green~acres

Thanks for your replies. I will look at them closer next time. We mowed over them today.Julie

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I dug some from the lawn and put them in the herb garden (it's only a weed if you don't want it...)

HG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”