kylie77

Started my squash and cucumber too early.

I'm VERY inexperienced, and eager! I started a pile of seeds but now I've done more reading etc... I realize I've started my cucumber and squash too early. What can I do if they're ready to go outside before it's warm enough for them? I'm so shocked at how quickly they've grown, and they look great, at least to me. Any advice would be great.

My last frost date is May 1st. I started them about 8 days ago and they're about 4+ inches tall already.

Thanks!

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Squash seem to grow very quickly and spread out quite a bit depending upon if you got a bush or vine variety. If you have a green house that is heated that would be the best place to store your plants until it is nice enough outside. I am fairly new to gardening, but I remember we planted pumpkins and squash around the last week of may and harvested them around Sept, and the last frost date for us is around May 17. If you want to save your plants you better have a lot of room somewhere near a south facing window, and you might be able to plant towards the middle to late April, if you cover your plants on cold nights. In all reality though, it would probably be easier to buy some more seeds and just start a little later, since they are so easy to grow, its really up to you though. Hope this helps.

kylie77

Thank you. I don't think I could bring myself to throw them out :(. I was planning on keeping them in containers, at least some of them anyway. Would it possibly work to put them in the containers when they're big enough, and keep them out during the days, and bring them in at night?

I plan on starting more seeds at the 'right' time anyway. This is all a big learning experience to me, and a lot of fun. I do want to try and keep the plants if at all possible though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you could try slowing your squash seedlings down by keeping them in a cooler darker area, giving them lots less hours of light. A little tricky because you don't want to kill them. But since I grow all my seeds under artificial lights, it has worked to slow things down just to cut way back on the hours the lights are on...

kylie77

Thanks for that. I can definately try that and see how it goes.

I suppose the worst that will happen is that I'll have to start again. But, maybe I'll be lucky.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If you step the container size up, IMO you can easily keep them in containers for another month. I generally go from a small pot to a one gallon container, and if the plants get too large, move them to a 3 gallon container. Place the plants outside on any warm sunny days, between now and time to plant. My squash and cucumber plants are almost ready to move to one gallon containers, and I've got at least until April 11th before they go into the ground and could have to wait until April 22nd the average last frost date.

kylie77

Thank you so much. Sounds like I maybe ok then, fingers crossed!

I wanted to say what a HUGE help you've been to me already. You've replied to all of my posts with very useful information. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I certainly have a lot to learn, but this forum is a big help.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have found that squash planted as seed directly in the garden do better than those started in pots. Those in pots always seem to take a terrific setback when you finally plant them out. By the time they get their breath, those planted from seed are ahead of those started plants.

I recommend planting the squash seed directly in the garden on the day of your average last frost, May 17. Then wait two or three weeks to plant cucumber seed. They like it warm.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Jal_ut, I agree with you that direct seeded squash and cucumbers generally do better. But it has also been my experience that the early seeded squash for transplants will bear earlier fruit by as much as two or three weeks than those seeded directly. For that reason, I start a few plants early, as a season extender, and then plant the main crop as usual, directly seeded into the ground. Like Kylie77, I may have started the transplants about three or four weeks too early this year. While I have no concerns over keeping the plants alive and thriving until time to move them into the ground, there is some concern that the root ball may fall apart at that time, and that would be a severe set back to the plants, and maybe even cause them to fail. If the plants have to be stepped up further than a one gallon pot, perhaps will go all the way to a five gallon pot and let those plants produce an early crop in containers, while the in ground plants are still developing.

kylie77

Thank you both. That's interesting that you find the ones started outside do better than the ones started inside. Well, I guess I'll find out. I plan on starting some outside as well.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Here are my squash and cucumber plants started from seed. They seem to be coming along nicely. Four containers of basil in the foreground.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3409070277_d07942223b.jpg[/img]

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

I agree with Alex...I have always started my squash and cucumber from seed indoors 3-4 weeks before planting time..but given my zone, that's about March 18th,,,your situation is a lil bit different...try this...
pot them up into bigger containers..they do grow quickly...meanwhile, take some black plastic and lay it over the area outside that you plan to plant...the plastic heats up real nice and will warm the soil and hopefully kill any weed seeds that are waiting to germinate. If you decide to directly sow the seeds to the ground, it'll be ready and warm.

here's a pic of ones sowed directly into the garden and ones started inside...one week apart..as they say, the proof is in the pics. The squash started inside have a huge advantage..

[img]https://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/atascosa_tx/zuchinni.jpg[/img]

Happy Gardening

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”