Earl K
Green Thumb

Holes in leaves of pepper plant

over the last week I have noticed that I am getting some holes on the upper leaves of an aneheim and jalepeno pepper plant,is something eating those holes or is there a problem with water or fertilizer? They are both growing in 5 gal. buckets inside a pool enclosure with full sun and getting water every 2 days in florida sun and heat.both have peppers on them but concerned about holes in leaves.thank you for any advice

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Flea Beetles may be to blame, and usually eat holes in leaves. The holes would have to be caused by some type of insect, get an insecticide, and mist the leaves.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I agree that flee beetles are good candidate, especially if the holes are tiny. A flee beetle infestation will give perhaps hundreds of tiny holes. If you just have a few isolated holes, then I would just monitor the plants. My methods tend to be mostly organic, augmented very low frequency pesticide user on veggies. An early infestation of flea beetles is one of the few pests that will cause me to break out the poison. They are fairly easy to control, especially if identified and handled early. Flea beetles are a pretty big problem on egg plants as well. I will sometimes spray poison before the plants are producing fruit, but rarely afterward, and never when a plant has fruit anywhere near maturity.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”