applestar
Mod

summer squash recommendation?

Summer squash is one veg I've never tried growing. Mainly because it's not a veg that I'm overly fond of. But maybe that's because I've never had homegrown? I love the way the plant itself looks -- very architectural.

So, I'm debating. By my estimation, I have until 4/M to start seeds indoors if they're as hardy as cucumbers/watermelons, or until 4/E to start if they're need to wait a little longer like melons. Or I can just wait until 5/M~5/E to direct seed.

So what's your fave? Zucchini? Yellow squash? Pattypan? Varieties? (I prefer early maturing since this is my first try.)

Thanks! :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I like both zucchini and yellow crookneck. I have grown the scallopino type, but was not impressed.

I feel it is a waste of time to start them indoors. Just plant seed where you will grow it. Plant on your average last frost date. I plant 5 seed in a small circle about 10 inches in diameter. This is called a hill whether you actually hill it up or not. If your soil is fertile the plants will get pretty big and cover an area up to 6 feet or more in diameter. What I am saying is they need some room.

Kenzie

A little off topic, but what does 4/M, 4/E and so on mean? (Sorry, I'm new to all this)

We're trying two varieties of squash this year...Straightneck Early Yellow and Yellow Summer Crookneck (I'm not sure if there's much difference in the two...that was just the two types that were available at WalMart and we're doing a lot of trial and error growing this year) I don't much care for squash, but my family loves them. I'll probably try growing one on a trellis and a few on the ground to see which works best.

elevenplants

jal_ut is right about the spacing, applestar. Otherwise, there isn't much expertise required in growing crookneck and zucchini. Just give 'em plenty of room and watch 'em for squash bugs. I usually plant 3 times during the season. I always get two harvests, and have gotten 3 (and when I say harvests, I mean plenty every other day or so until the plant plays out, not all at once.) What the heck, seed is cheap and fresh is best! These two varieties, and the straight-neck yellow, mature quickly....in fact, you can quickly become overrun. There are five in my family, and 4-5 crookneck plants, a couple zucchini, a straight-neck or two going at all times and we have plenty to eat, dry, freeze and give away! Squash is very versatile. Don't count it out till you've grown it.

Rebecca

tomatodude

you can start the summer squash indoors..if ya choose..
Give it a head start,,I always do....
Granted that they are the last to mature,,,
this is my fav of the squash...
wait till they get around 5 inches in diameter...then slice them, coat in batter and fry em...eat with a lil ranch dressing..yummers

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I tried earlier to put a pic on here, but it wouldn't take. I will try again.

Arggghhh! Still won't work.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/squash.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Finally got it to work.

That is summer squash behind the potatoes. You can see it gets quite large.

applestar
Mod

:shock: :eek: :shock:
... and how many plants are back there?

They may just have to go occupy last year's Sunflower House space.... Maybe I could put one in each corner... Are they prickly? Maybe I'll just give the neighbor's a wave and put some out in the front yard.... :twisted: :wink:

Also -- any varietal recommendations? I'm really a flavor snob when it comes to growing veg's 8) I won't grow stuff just because they'll grow well :roll:

Superior flavor, open pollinated is better, AND disease resistance. Not asking much am I? :lol:

Thanks, everyone, for all your tips, by the way. :wink: As you can see, I'm definitely leaning towards growing some! :D

2cents
Green Thumb

Next to how much I love corn, squash is in a small group that also rank in the category of addictions. I have no problem with winter or summer, they are all good.
If looking at the summer ones, We usually eat them one or two at a time. But if we have friends over, I love to put out a variety(yellow & Green). So color contrast is my issue. They have varieties called black zucchini they have dark green skins some almost black. All of the yellows are bright, so the color contrast is not enhanced by one variety over another.
Then you have the shapes and texture. I am not as texture sensitive(men are visual creatures, so how does it look and does it taste good).
I have wanted to try the eight ball zucchini for the shape and it is supposed to have great flavor(sounds like a winner).
I think yellows are earlier, but all of them are relatively early.

A buddy makes zucchini bread that is out of control, over the top good, I give half of mine to him and he supplies me more sweet bread than I can eat or give away. Zucchini is a good choice.
Both the yellow and green ones can be left go, if not picked early and baked parmigan style, excellent. They are also good grilled in thick slices.
Don't be afraid of the summer squashes, they are well worth the space they demand.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I like to plant Zucchini, Yellow and Butternut.

I plant 2 plans of each then wait about 4 weeks and plant 2 more of the Zucchini and Yellow. Sometimes the plants will make a lot of squash then get root rot and die so by plant crops 4 weeks apart I have another crop if the first one dies.

1 butternut squash plant is all you really need, 1 plant will make 20 squash. How many can you eat? Butternut is hardy and it grows like water mellons it makes a large vine. I wrap the vine around and around in a circle around the plant to save space.

You can fix butternut squash several ways but this is my favorite.

Peal the squash and cut into 1/4" thick slices.
24 to 30 brussel sprouts
2 large onions cut into 6 wedges.
Put all 3 vegies in a bowl and pour on about 1/4 cut of olive oil. Mix well to get a good coating of oil also brake up the onion wedges into pieces. Pour onto a cook sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.

2cents
Green Thumb

Butternut is the best tasting.
Isn't it a winter squash?
Thanks for the recipe

RosieRenee

Here's another zucchini recipe we like:

Cut lengthwise in thin (1/4 inch or so) strips.
Brush each side with olive oil.
Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, garlic, basil, thyme, or any other flavor you like.
Grill on the BBQ or in the oven until browned and tender.
Serve warm.
Yum!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”