pepper4
Green Thumb

cabbage

Thinking about trying a few heads of cabbage. New at this gardening thing. Do you grow them from seed? Haven't seen packets of seed for them or do you just get starters from greenhouse? I live in Ohio, and am growing a relatively small garden out back. Planning on onions, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. I would appreciate any info on cabbage I can get. Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've seen both seeds and starts offered, but I'd recommend asking around at independent, locally owned garden-supply stores or nurseries for advice on planting time in your area.

We also have a number of Ohio/Indiana/Pennsylvania members here, and some of them are likely to give you help later today.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

I don't live in Ohio and my cabbage experience is pretty minor, but I'm pretty sure it's too late for you to start cabbages from seed for this spring. Here in zone 6b/7 border, I need to get the last of my 68 day cabbage starts in the ground by 1st wk of April for mid-June harvest before things get REALLY hot.

Why don't you buy started cabbage for this spring? If you want to grow some from seed, get seeds for a variety you like and start fall cabbages from seed indoors around mid-June to start planting out around mid-July. :D

Venomous_1
Cool Member

applestar wrote:I don't live in Ohio and my cabbage experience is pretty minor, but I'm pretty sure it's too late for you to start cabbages from seed for this spring. Here in zone 6b/7 border, I need to get the last of my 68 day cabbage starts in the ground by 1st wk of April for mid-June harvest before things get REALLY hot.

Why don't you buy started cabbage for this spring? If you want to grow some from seed, get seeds for a variety you like and start fall cabbages from seed indoors around mid-June to start planting out around mid-July. :D
DITTO! Too late this year to start from seed. But I recommend trying it next year. I've grown cabbage from seed for years and it's very easy. Only thing I caution you about is to buy seeds for that year. Do not use cabbage seeds from a previous year (old seeds). Even when properly stored I've had a very difficult time getting them to germinate. Buy new seeds each year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I grow cabbage from seed every year. I seed it directly where it will be grown. My usual planting dates are the first two weeks of April. Right now the garden is covered with six inches of snow. You are just right to plant if you have bare ground. Go for it. I recommend putting something like diatomaceous earth where you plant to discourage bugs. Bugs really like cabbage, even newly sprouted plants.

Cabbage can be transplanted when about 2 inches tall.

Broccoli and cauliflower likewise.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”