binarysunrise
Newly Registered

Any Difference Between Types of Manure?

Ok, so when we got our garden, the previous owner said he often fertilized and tilled the soil before every season. I haven't done much in the past four years at all.

So before I till up the ground, I thought I'd add some fertilizer. On craigslist, I see there are a lot of locals offering up manure for gardens (some will even deliver!). This might be too novice a question, but is there any difference between using cow or horse manure for a garden? Some ads stated that they'd add sawdust to the mix as well.

My plan was to get a delivery, spread it out across the garden, and then till it all together. I'd love any advice you can give :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Please read through our Compost forum; I just did a search (see the top left hand corner of each page) on "manure" and returned over 20 pages of threads here at THG which discuss this topic. :shock:

Even restricting the discussion to the manure of herbivores: some can and some should not be directly added to earth where you intend to plant in the near future.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Every time I get Cow manure for my garden it is full of weed seeds. I have to fight weeds all summer and the next 5 summers too. Horse manure does not seem to have that problem. I got a truck load of rabbit manure one year it was really good.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

2cents
Green Thumb

I put Horse Manure on this past fall. Rye or something is popping up all over the place. :cry:
Did I mention I changes places I get manure. Time to go back to the other place. :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Straight up poop is going to do that: find someone composting his "stuff" and use that or compost the "stuff" youself before using. USCC standards need three days at 137 degrees to be certified compost; THAT'LL kill weed seed and pathogens...

HG

2cents
Green Thumb

Helpful,
Thank you. The other guys was an old pile. This one was fresh, I thought I was getting better stuff because it was still wet. No I was just getting the live seeds.
My compost pile will love you for this suggestion.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah it will, and you will love your compost more than ever...

Thermophilic (hot) compost really needs a manure component, and the biology it brings to the table will fire things up fast. You are gonna be suprised...

HG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”