pepper4
Green Thumb

snow

Here in Ohio they are calling for temps to drop next week and possible snow. I planted radishes and onion plants about 3 days ago. If we do get snow should I cover them or will they be ok seeings they are root plants? Thanks! :wink:

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I had onions in the ground all winter long, and they have come up every single year, so I wouldn't worry about the onions.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Thanks! Should I be concerned about the radishes? I planted then from seed about 4 days ago. Thanks!

mboulac
Newly Registered

I have spinach and lettuce up and a few radishes, all are seedlings. I am also concerned about the snow and the temps dropping to 24 at night for 2 days. I was thinking about putting down a layer of straw over it all for protection but I don't know if this will harm my seedlings.

So what is the best way to protect seedlings for the early spring temp drop?

I also have some clay pots I could cover with or cut off milk jugs and 2 liter bottles would that be a better way to go?

Thanks
Matt

elevenplants

Matt, you might throw down some burlap or a very thin layer of straw. If you put too much straw on it can be a pain to get off. But a thin layer would offer some protection and you could just rake it back a little and leave it on for mulch once the danger has passed. Burlap is great if you have it on hand. Actually, I doubt they'd be hurt much, but back in February when I planted my greens here in zone 7a, we had several very cold days and nights, and I covered up religiously. Getting fresh greens now for salads, with radishes big as marbles, and I'm glad I took the time and trouble. Good luck!

Pepper4, if your radishes haven't come up yet, I wouldn't even worry about it. They should be ok.

Rebecca

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”