kissygoose

Raised beds?

I've tried a small vegie garden in my yard for the last couple of years but nothing seems to grow well. It's got lots of sunlight but I think the problem is the soil. I don't think it's very good. I also do some container gardening too due to space problems and they always do a lot better.

So I was thinking of doing a raised bed garden this year. I don't have any wood but have a surplus of bricks that were used for path in our yard. Could I possibly use those instead of wood? If so, how do I make it work? Also, what else do I need to know about the beds? Like what kind of soil to put in them? How high? Our library is very limited.

Thanks.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Lots of us here used raised beds. So many, in fact, that a site search on the phrase "raised beds" yields over 20 pages of results.

Here's how to find the raised bed discussions:

Go to the top of the page, right under the title of the thread. There's a very light grey box with the word "Search" to its right.

Type in the phrase "raised beds," with or without quotation marks.

Select the discussion you want to read, read it, and then use the Back button to get to your search again.

Go to the next one, etc.

TONS of info!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

kissygoose

Thanks Cynthia. I thought that search thing was for the web and not just on here. :D

LJ0913

Hello,

I too was in the same situation (about soil questions) and I can tell you what I did. We built our garden on a hillside and I made the beds out of wood 4 feet high, but built into the hillside itself. I used the existing soil and brought in to a total of 1.5 foot of compost per garden box. I rototilled the compost into the existing soil giving that a try this year. The soil is just under the top of the bed.

Here's a photo of where the soil height.

[img]https://larrybosworth.com/img/v4/p394076099-3.jpg[/img]

Best,
Larry

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”