Cuddles McKitten
Newly Registered

Anyone want to check a neophyte's work (garden plans)?

I've recently been bitten by the gardening bug. I started growing burdock and garlic indoors over the winter. Though I only intended to transplant the few plants I have now, after seeing how much fun I was getting for relatively little effort, I've decided to expand to starting a mini-farm. Since it's almost April (which is time to sow most of the seeds I'm interested in), I thought I'd see if anyone with more experience than me could point out any major flaws with my crop rotation plan. Here it is:

Field 1 (nitrogen fixers): Beans, peas, and potentially clover
Field 2 (nitrogen gobblers): Flax, corn, and possibly foxtail millet or oats
Field 3 (brassicas and alliums -- phosphorus users): Turnips, onions, garlic, and maybe some sort of cabbage
Field 4 (solanaceae/roots -- potassium users): Potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, and burdock

Each field would rotate up one, except for field one which would go where field four was last year. Any major mistakes in that plan which would hurt my chances of success?

Beyond that, do you have any simple-to-implement ideas other than fertilizing? How about suggestions on how to keep the critters from eating everything? Are there any other bad scenarios of which I shouldn't remain ignorant?

And lastly, what should I do regarding gathering seeds on burdock, carrots, and cabbage? They're all technically biennials, so should I leave them out of this rotation and off on their own little patch somewhere for seed-gathering purposes?

-Thanks

Dannyo

Sounds like you have a much better plan than I do. I've planted my first garden this year as well, my plan is: till, plant, water and watch. I'd say you'll have a very rewarding hobby at the very least. What's the worst that can happen? I figure if I wasn't in the garden I'd spend my time and money somewhere else.. Ya gotta have a hobby :wink:

Cuddles McKitten
Newly Registered

I guess the dearth of responses means that everything I supposed was 100% accurate and the absolute best plan possible! I never would've thought I'd have mastered agriculture after only a few hours of research. :D

Like you said, Dannyo: even if I screw up badly, at least I'll be getting something out of my failure. The research and planning is fun enough as it is, so I can only imagine what joy I'll derive from getting my hands dirty growing and single-handedly fighting off the large, vicious packs of ravenous does in my area.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I never knew anyone that grew burdock. Around here it's a pesty weed. What do you use it for? Your plan sounds scientific, but quite ambitious for starting out. Lots of us city gardeners don't have the luxury of different fields and all, so just have to throw things together. Carrots and tomatoes do grow well together. A lot depends on things like soil type and sun exposure that you haven't mentioned. You probably got less response because several of the things you mentioned aren't real common (flax in a veggie garden?)...

I don't fertilize, per se. I compost everything (all the yard waste and kitchen scraps) and add the compost to the garden. You will find browsing through the forum tons of suggestions about keeping critters away (predator urine, human hair, irish spring soap, mothballs, etc). I grow veggies in raised beds and I just fence each bed individually with deer netting.

I collect seeds of the flowers I grow, I've never tried collecting veggie seeds. In order to get veggie seeds, you have to let the plant flower and seed, which means it's no longer edible as a veggie. If you have a farm, as it sounds like you do, you could afford to let a few plants go to seed. When I am planting 3-5 broccoli plants, I'm not going to let any go to seed! :)

Cuddles McKitten
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:I never knew anyone that grew burdock. Around here it's a pesty weed. What do you use it for?
I have an interest in ethno- and paleo-ethnobotany, so I'm somewhat well versed in weird plants that aren't used much anymore. Lots of "weeds" are actually surprisingly useful and delicious. The tap root is quite large and tasty (somewhat similar to sweet potato), the leaves are useful in salad (when young and tender), and it's easy to grow. The root was also used quite a bit in herbal medicine by virtually anyone who had access to the plant; though, with a hospital and a pharmacy only a mile away from me, I don't think I'm going to be using it much for that!

rainbowgardener wrote: I collect seeds of the flowers I grow, I've never tried collecting veggie seeds. In order to get veggie seeds, you have to let the plant flower and seed, which means it's no longer edible as a veggie. If you have a farm, as it sounds like you do, you could afford to let a few plants go to seed. When I am planting 3-5 broccoli plants, I'm not going to let any go to seed! :)
Thanks. That was helpful.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”