pepper4
Green Thumb

seedlings

I started tomatoes, a variety of peppers, onions and cucumbers from seed in the house. I planted them all about 3 weeks ago. The cucumber and cherry and beefsteak tomatoes are doing great. Nice tall and green. Onions are coming along but the peppers are lagging behind. Barely breaking the dirt. I give all alittle water at the same time and they are all kept at the same temp. Are peppers alittle slower to grow from seed or do they need something different then what I am doing? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Bambi

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yes, they are slower for me, especially in cool soil.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Make sure the soil temperature is around 85-90 degrees and keep a humidity dome or plastic cover over the germinating seeds. You can buy a "Jiffy Propagator" and you can put a heating pad beneath the propagator. If you germinate the seeds this way, you will have seedlings emerging in 5-10 days, works for me. I don't use peat pellets because they tend to dry out way to much for germination, keep the soil constantly moist as well, if the soil gets to dry your pepper seeds will not germinate (that is what the humidity dome /plastic cover is for). Hope this helps. :)
Why buy produce when you can grow it?
-Nick

green~acres

my bell peppers are kinda slow. It is hard to have patience when I want it to grow a few inches everyday. LOL.
Julie

Venomous_1
Cool Member

Peppers

Also, you probably already know this, but just in case, make sure those peppers are not planted next to the tomatos. That could also be slowing them down...and...more importantly, they won't produce peppers.

pepper4
Green Thumb

no I didn't know that but it will be useful when I plant in ground. Right now they are all sttill in pots. Thanks!
Bambi

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, peppers are slow to germinate. I start mine a month before the tomatoes. If they are coming up, don't worry, they will make it.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”