wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Follow-up to ? in tomato section- re: shady vegetables

No, not vegetables whose morals (or morels) are in question. Rather, what success has anyone had around zones 4-7 (USDA) growing what kinds of veggies in light shade some or most of the day?

So far:
Thumbelina carrots
leaf lettuces
radishes
cherry tomatoes

Might there be varieties of 'maters, peppers, peas or beans; heck, even melons? If so, which ones? You'll see my premise for this under the tomatoes section, "Verification, please" thread. I don't feel like repeating it here.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Thank goodness Wing. I was afraid you were looking for some sort of tomato bailout.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

most any of the cool weather crops will tolerate some shade and benefit from it when the weather gets hot: spinach, swiss chard, onions, broccoli, cabbage... I don't know about the stuff like tomatoes and beans etc. I have planted tomatoes in partly shady areas, just because I don't have a whole lot of sunny ground. They did produce, but they were definitely smaller plants and less productive than the ones in full sun. In Michigan, it's even a little less likely to work for you (now in Arizona.... :) )

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Ooops, I forgot--I edge my beds with rainbow chard, it works pretty well with afternoon shade, but does tend to bolt in mid-late summer if I don't stay on it every day or two.

Very funny, Charlie :roll: Especially since I thought I was going to have to bail out my basement... :o

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”