Miss Sprout

saving chilies and tomato seed question

Hi everyone thanks for all the help so far!

I've got a question about my chilies.

Can chilies grow in spring time or is it too cold?

And if they can't grow in sprig how can I save them?

I am starting to dry some of my tomato seeds because my cherry tomato

plant did so well but I need to know does the water you add need to be

sterilized???

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Post Below
Last edited by BrianSkilton on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Chile peppers cannot withstand temperatures below the 60s, and they hate cold weather. Since peppers originate in a south and central America, they need hot weather to grow and fruit. Peppers are not frost tolerant and will die if planted to early. I usually wrap my seeds in paper towels and stick them in a regular plastic bag, make sure there isn't any air inside. Then store them in my closet which is dark and cool. Some people also store their seeds in the refrigerator which is suppose to keep them for longer, but I have never used this method. I know a lot of people have methods of saving tomato seeds which involve fermenting them etc, but I don't go through all that trouble, I don't need to. I just squeeze the tomato on to a paper towel and separate the seeds from the gel, and then put them on a dry paper towel and dry for a couple days, after that I just sow them directly into some soil. I germinate seeds my using aluminium back pan, with a clear plastic lid and a heating pad below that jacked up to high, they will germinate in about 5 days. Hope this helps.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”