mikeingeorgia

Watering question

I recently planted corn, vidalia onions, cauliflower, broccoli and lettuce. It was recommended to me to not water the onions too much because they might rot underground. So how much would you water based on what I planted? Just assume no rain and I can adjust to the weather, thanks, Mike

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Don't worry about the onions. As long as the area has good drainage they will be fine.

How much or when to water is a different problem for every lot. In some areas where the humidity is high and there are frequent rains, irrigation is seldom needed. Here in the high mountain desert of Northern Utah, irrigation is necessary if you are going to grow anything at all.

Perhaps a moisture probe would be a good thing? With that you can test for moisture and water if needed. Onions need water too.

elevenplants

Hi Mike, I'm in zone 7 also, and have been watering almost daily, since we've had a couple of weeks with no rain. Particularly my raised beds, for they drain so well. I kind of hate to start the whole watering regime this early, but by the same token, I don't want my plants to go thirsty! I have onions, broccoli, lettuce, garlic, spinach, mustard and radishes in the ground now and they're all getting regular drinks. Inconsistent moisture levels are not a good thing. I'm an old-school gardener who relies more on my instinct and experience than anything else, and both those tell me to water when dry!
:lol:

Rebecca

mikeingeorgia

Thanks! It hasn't rained here in a little while, over a week so I'll try to make it a point to water a little bit every day.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”