bradhs
Newly Registered

30' x 30' Vegetable garden .. How to best configure area?

Hello,

I am putting together a 30' x 30' vegetable garden and need help figuring out how to configure it. I'm looking for pictures and ideas on the best way to setup the vegetables, water and path. Some ideas: 4" wide by 4" deep watering section, 20" to seed/plant then a 30" path.

Or possibly 4" wide by 4" wide watering section, 20" seed/plant, another 4" by 4" watering section then antoher 20" seed/plant, then a 30" path.

Any ideas would be great. I've also been told to incorporate the watering in the middle of the plants instead of a watering section.

Any ideas, pictures would be great!

Thanks,
Bradley

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the difference between here in the midwest where water actually just falls from the sky and you in southern california, but I don't know what you mean by a "watering section."

RayZorback
Newly Registered

I have a similar area: 950 square feet total.
I'm not real sure about the nice even spaces you mentioned. I'm a newbie but as I have researched I have discovered that different plants require different distances between them. All of that being said, here is what I have decided (maybe it will help?)
On the north east corner I have corn (4.3' x 19.5' = 50 stalks)
(between the beds and around the edge I have a 2' walking path)
To the north west I have beans (5.5'x6' = 9 bean poles) and against this bed I have peas in the north west corner (5.5'x9') - kinda forms an L with the bean bed
In front of the peas and beans (walk space inbetween) I have tomatos in an L shape (3.4'x6.9') + (6.1'x6.1) = about 6 or 9 tomato plants
To the east of that I have squash (7.7'x7.9') = 9 squash plants and more to the east I have another joined bed: southern peas - black eyed (9.7'x4.4'), and various peppers (5'x9.7')
In the south east I have a led of pickles and cucumbers and to the west of that, I will be planting all of my shorties.
I will try to get this on some sort of diagram or plan, but that is what I have spray painted in my yard right now.
I was surprised at how much I could fit into a 950' area - and still have space to walk through and around. I'm sure there are neater and more efficient ways (like the three sisters method) but I am new and wanted to keep it simple this year.
My note on watering: I will use a fancy system I call a "water hose" this year. All of my plant beds will be slightly raised but will not have borders or be a "raised bed". I might try to figure out how to rig in a drip system, but I've gotte figure out a way to do it cheap! Most likely, I will be standing in my back yard, enjoying an early morning pipe and coffee while moving the water hose around.
Good luck. I'll post a pic when I have one!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”