RayZorback
Newly Registered

Crops by Height

Hey all. I'm doing some garden planning today and I need a list of crops by height.
I've got corn on the north side and beside the corn (to the west) I will have Beans (pole) that will need trellises. Then I have another space about 2' wide by 3" long to put something else tall.
I have ideas about what types of crops I want, but I'm looking for an approximate list of crops by height. Anyone know of a good resource?

Here is how I want to organize my crops:

____------'''''''' = Tallest Crops by Height on North Row

''''''''------____ = Medium Crops by Height on Mid Row

____-----''''''''' = Shortest Crops by Height on South Row

Back Left = North East = Tallest
Front Right = South West = Shortest

Thank you!
- RayZorback

GO HOGS!

elevenplants

Have you ever heard of the Iroquois Indian '3 sisters' method for planting corn, beans and squash? Very interesting and utilitarian. Read about it here:

[url]https://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html[/url]

Rebecca

RayZorback
Newly Registered

That looks awesome... but I am a COMPLETE newbie! I don't think I have the room in the garden for all that this year, but I might give that a shot next year. THANK YOU for the resource. I'm saving it for sure!
- RayZorback

GO HOGS!

elevenplants

I've never tried it either for I usually pass on the corn in favor of so many other veggies I'd rather grow...not that I don't love corn, I do...but I just buy it in season at the local farmer's market and freeze freeze freeze!

...but someday I'm gonna try the 3 sisters. :wink:

Rebecca

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I understand why you want to arrange the plants by height--maximize their exposure to the sun.

But grouping them by water needs is also needed. You don't want to drown the low-water veggies or dehydrate the high-water ones.

A basic book on growing veggies (available at your local public library under the number 635) will give you both the height and water needs of veggie plants. Trying to think of every question and then ask them on the Internet is tiring; look at a good basic book and then ask the questions the book raises but doesn't answer! :D

I like Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Even if you don't use his methods, the short descriptions of each basic veggie plant are very clear. Before I purchased this one last year, I checked out a copy from my library and kept going back to it again and again...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Put the corn on the North and the Pole beans next to it. If you are going to trellis cukes, put those next. Now crookneck squash or zucchini, then peas, tomatoes, chard, cabbage, brocoli, peppers, onions, beets, carrots, radish.

It is not actually that important because in the growing season, the sun is overhead, not really south. It comes up in the northeast, and goes down in the north west. It is slightly south at noon.

Have a great garden!
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”