cynicalbrat79

Where to buy started vegetable plants-Illinois

I live in Chicago's west suburbs (bolingbrook/naperville) does anyone know of a good place that sells started plants? I am willing to travel to a good nursery. I have tried Home Depot in previous years, but they don't have the variety I am looking for.

I hope that this isn't blasphemy to all the gardeners out there, :oops: but I just don't have the space to start out seeds indoors and my patience is thin this year.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

You could start looking here: https://www.magicyellow.com/category/Nurseries_Plants_Trees/Chicago_IL.html there seems to be quite a bit, I don't know how close they are toward you though. Hope that helps..

or try: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=plant+nurseries+in+chicago&btnG=Search&cts=1236296092495

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Last year I found out that one of our local flower/plant shop also sold veggies and they were a good price and looked better then the HD or Lowes plants you get. Maybe you could find something similar up there.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Some of the big box stores have a nice nursery section.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut, the difficulty with the "big box" garden departments is that the staff generally don't know a dandelion from a delphinium and the national headquarters seems to send out the *same* varieties of transplants to all regions of the country at the *same* time.

Whereas an independently owned, locally based garden-supply store will generally have staff knowledgeable about *local* growing conditions and varieties best suited for success under those *local* growing conditions.

I've been to OSH, Home Depot, and even the local pharmacy chain on other errands during "planting season" here. They all three had the very same varieties, whether of bell peppers or zinnias.

OTOH, the two local independent nurseries I frequent didn't have *any* of the same varieties as the big box guys, brought them onto display at seasonally appropriate times, and gave me (when I asked) very helpful information to give me and my plants the best chance of success.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Chicago has what they call the "Green City Market" which is a farmer's market arrangement with many vendors at the location. In looking at this list of vendors, I see that two offer flowers and plants for sale. Perhaps it would be worth your time to call each and see what they offer, when they are participating in the market, and perhaps how near their permanent business sites are.

[url]https://www.chicagogreencitymarket.org/producers_public.asp[/url]

Here is one that looks interesting, called the Farmer's Market Garden center.

[url]https://www.gardenchicago.com/products_services.htm[/img][/url]

If I would you, would google my area and make a short list. Would also solicit rec's from neighbors and friends. Chicago would have to have lots of excellent family owned nursuries and vendors.

cynicalbrat79

Thanks for the tips, as far as recommendations go, I am problably the only serious vegitable gardner I know - if you even want to call me serious, maybe a serious idiot- anyways that why I am turning to the forum, I haven't been steered wrong yet. Keep the suggestions coming!!

ManokAnak

Well I grew up in the south suburbs and there were and still are many places to buy seedlings and many farms. I know there is Alsip nursery in Frankfort and St. john, IN and other places, it's a mini local chain and I some times get imported Italian seed there and they have some nice onion sets and little plants and herb, they are mostly better for seed. There is Busy Bee in Glenwood not too far from Prairie State College. There are also little roadside small nurseries. I know there are some in Glenwood Dyer rd in Glenwood. There is a nursury on 159th in Orland Park. There are places everywhere, I am sure if you go for a drive you will find something. There is also Gethsemane Garden Center in Chicago on Clark. Its by a Filipino grocery, that is how I remember it. Also, talk with people at the farmers markets. Most love what they do and will gladly give you or sell you extras.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Look in the phone book yellow pages under Farm Supplies. You will probably have to drive away from the city to find a good farm supply store. I lived in Kirkland Illinois one summer I had the best garden I ever had in my life. Days were never hot and the nights were cool. Spinach, onions, lettuce, potatoes, corn, beans all grew great. Onions were about the size of base balls. I think the weather there is perfect for a garden, I know the soil is much better than where I live now.

WntGrnThumbs!
Newly Registered

cynicalbrat79 wrote:I live in Chicago's west suburbs (bolingbrook/naperville) does anyone know of a good place that sells started plants? I am willing to travel to a good nursery. I have tried Home Depot in previous years, but they don't have the variety I am looking for.

I hope that this isn't blasphemy to all the gardeners out there, :oops: but I just don't have the space to start out seeds indoors and my patience is thin this year.

Hello,

I was hoping you found a good nursery in the area. Also I'm hopping to get some suggestions on some edibles to plant this time of the year with the great way the weather has been :)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

hmmm... there's a place I remember from the north suburbs...maybe skokie? I'll do a search.

...looks like the one I may have been thinking about was a clover's garden center, which seems to be a chain. they say there's one in naperville, one in berwyn, one in mt. prospect...etc.

I gotta agree with cynthia's analysis of varieties at bigger/chain stores, though - if you're looking for something very specific or relatively uncommon, starting your own seed may be the only way. what varieties are you looking for?

edit#2...anton's in evanston is a possibility...but a bit of a drive for you.

Chrissykr
Newly Registered

Last year I bought mine at Keller's Farm Stand in Naperville. I was very happy with them. They have a great selection of heirlooms also.

rayhar29
Newly Registered

Cynicalbrat79 and WntGrnThumbs! wanted to know about a good place to find started plants. Well, here is the definitive answer !

There is a place - the most fantastic one that you will ever see, here or anywhere else. It is in Grant Park, IL, South of Beecher and West of Manteno. Go to www,woldhuisfarms.com for directions. When you go there -and you must ! ! ! - be prepared to spend a few hours. The place is huge. The plants all are healthy. And the variety is seemingly endless. And the prices are very reasonable - usually less than at places like Home Depot. Lowe's, garden shops, etc. It is well worth your time to go there, even if you are in the North suburbs.
After you have visited this place, please let me know your impression.

rayhar29

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”