cynicalbrat79

To seed or not to seed, How should I start my veggies?

Hello all -
I started plants from seed last year and wasn't happy with my results. :cry:
This year I would like to get some plants that are already started because I am short on time and patience. What should I start from seed though? I would like to grow: tomatoes, green pepper, cucumbers, acorn (or spaghetti) squash, zuchinni, corn, green beans, broccoli, and strawberries.
Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: What should I start from seed though? I would like to grow: tomatoes, green pepper, cucumbers, acorn (or spaghetti) squash, zuchinni, corn, green beans, broccoli, and strawberries.

Green pepper is slow maturing. If you haven't already started seeds, that would be a good one to buy plants of, they are readily available (once the weather is warmer). Likewise the broccoli, because it is a cold weather plant that will start fading out once it gets hot, so it's almost time to plant it outside already. Tomatoes, if you wanted to start from seed you still could, if you get right on it, but big healthy tomato plants will be easy to come by. Corn, I think is pretty much always started from seed, I don't recall seeing plants. I don't think it transplants well. But you don't have to start it inside, just plant it outside, once the soil is warmed up some. It takes a fair amount of room, and I gave up on growing it because every critter in the world loves corn, you practically have to stand guard 24 hrs a day with a shot gun to get to eat any of your own corn. Cucumber, squash, zucchini are all warm weather plants. I will start seeds and haven't even planted them, it's too early yet, they grow very fast. They are very easy to grow from seed. Also the green beans, which also are usually just started outside. Strawberries are almost always bought as plants, I don't know anybody who has started them from seeds (of course having said this now ten people will write in to tell me about starting strawberries from seed, which is fine... I'm always glad to keep learning). Hope this helps.

applestar
Mod

You can usually buy potted starts of tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, broccoli and strawberries for planting when the weather warms up at most farm stands and independent garden centers (preferred sources), as well as big box stores.

Look up the right time to plant these for your area, make sure to get the broccoli and strawberries early enough (around middle of April~beginning of May for me in USDA Zone 6/7 border), but don't get the tomatoes, peppers, and cukes too early (watch out because they'll have them out, especially the big box stores, but you have to provide special protection to plant them early). Wait until after last frost in your area.

You can probably get acorn and spaghetti squash starts although not everyone has them, but it's also possible to directly sow in your garden the seeds of acorn (or spaghetti) squash, cucumber, and zucchini. Though some people transplant corn, generally, corn and green beans are also directly sown seeds. All of them need fully warmed soil -- corn can go in first about 1 wk after last frost, others around 2 wks after last frost. (But check with your local Ag Dept county extension or other reliable source).

For direct seeding, the key to successful and early gratification is to get early maturing varieties (days to maturity is listed on the seed packet). Look also for disease resistance. You'll have more varieties to choose from if you buy from seed catalogs/on-line. Note too that squash, cucumber, and zucchini are also available in varieties that grow as space-saving smaller sized plants (bush-type) with smaller harvest, vs. the full-sized rambling plants.

Hope that helps.
:wink:
Last edited by applestar on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cynicalbrat79

Thanks! I tried the corn last year but half way through the squirrels got it, to bad they didn't choke :twisted:

as far as the broccoli goes, I am on the outskirts of the windy city and its been awful cold even for chicago standards, is it still a good idea to start from seed? or should I suck it up and do it anyway despite the cold? I don't thinkI can buy the broccoli already started, unless you have any good ideas of where I might find some.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Buy pepper, tomato and strawberry plants. The others are best started from seed where they will grow. Plant the broccoli now.

pepper4
Green Thumb

First time "farmer" and I also decided to plant from seed indoors. I planted onion, cucumber, peppers and tomatoe. So far they look pretty good but the peppers are lagging behind. Can't wait to get them in the ground and hope they continue their great growth. I will be planting radish and green bean seed directly in ground when ready. I hope I'm not disappointed. It's been fun watching them this far but if the final results are bad I too will probably buy plants next year.

somegeek

My pepper seeds took their time to sprout but are coming up now. I have Tomato, pepper and basil all coming up now. Started a little late so I bought some starters but these seedlings will find their way into our flower beds soon at any rate. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”