sharris
Newly Registered

shade cloth

I live in the desert southwest and have had trouble with my vegetable garden in the hottest months. I am considering putting up a structure for shade cloth----how much blockage would be advisable. ie. 70%, 90% etc

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If there's an independently owned garden supply store in El Paso, ask them what works best in the local area.

It may depend, too, on whether you're providing shade to plants on a northern, eastern, etc. exposure.

Best wishes.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Our summers don't get bruttally hot as yours but the humidity is a lot worse on those near 100 degree days. The plants definitely suffer during the afternoon. If using shade cloth, I would consider using 40%-60% and would place it so that the plants get full morning sun and would only fall under the shade of the cloth in late morning or early afternoon, depending upon your particular conditions. I agree with cynthia that you may be able to get some local help as to what degree of shade cloth, however in this area a person is challenged to find anyone who sells it. Perhaps some nursery that uses shade cloth would be a better resourse to ask what % shade they use to cover their plants. There are many online sources for shade cloth.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”