green~acres

Onions and Below Freezing Temps

I may have jumped too soon. I have some onions planted. The bulbs havent come up yet. They were just planted last week. Now we had snow and below freezing temps. Will they be ok? Thanks,
Julie

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We've had onions in the ground all winter. They don't grow much but they are ok. We pull one up now and then and cut it up for salads. They're vewy vewy small. :(

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Same here. My wife had some left over bunch onions from the grocery store. They were going bad, so I washed them, snipped off any bad parts and stuck them in the ground several months ago. A regular freeze doesn't bother them at all, but a hard freeze will partially kill the tops back. But I get the feeling that the onions are mostly just sitting there waiting to take off when the weather warms a bit and the hard freezes are over.

2cents
Green Thumb

green acres
I put onions in last weekend here in Ohio,
they will be fine until they start to take off, if we ever see 60 degrees again.

elevenplants

I think you'll be just fine. I planted my onions plants and sets in mid-February and they have survived several 20 degree nights since then. I was worried too, and covered them a few nights, but aside from the tops being bent over some from the tarp covering, they are growing well and green as all get-out! I think hope pray the colder temps are gone from us here in Northern Alabama.

....it's just so hard to wait, isn't it?? :wink:

Rebecca

green~acres

Thank you all for the replies. It is good to hear of your experiences with the onions.We are spose to have some 70 degree weather within the next week. Spring cant come soon enough for me. That reminds me,, Spring Forward, Fall Back. Clocks spring forward this weekend. Have a super day.
Julie

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Don't worry, your onions will be just fine. Planting early is how you get large onions. They are really cold hardy.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I just went to my garden today and pulled out some onions that have been in the ground all winter, they where small but quite tasty. Those guys are very very cold hardy, you shouldn't have a problem.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”