Curly

Weak Gangly Plants - What am I Doing Wrong?

I've just about given up on trying to start my plants indoors. This should be simple, shouldn't it? But I get the same result every year, no matter whether its vegetables or flowers. I get weak gangly plants on long stems that barely survive outdoors and always look like runts compared to the plants I buy from the Greenhouse. What are they doing differently? I use good potting soil and have tried different location in the house. Adding some liquid fertilizer just makes them shoot up faster. Not sure what the colour of my thumb is, an expression I heard the other day is "dubious shade of pasty lime", yep, that's me. Help?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This has been discussed many times on various threads, so you would be rewarded by spending some time searching the archives. In a nutshell, the answer is light, light, light. To start seeds in doors, all but the very best locations will need supplemental light. If you only start a small tray of plants then get a single CFL and put it on a timer for 12-14 hours per day. Move the light down to just above the plants. If you start several trays then get a four foot double florescent light and place it close to the plants. When seedlings get adequate light they will not be weak and spindly, but will be thick and stocky.

The biggest factors related to success in starting your own plants from seeds:

Bottom heat or insure a temperature of between 70 and 80 degrees for heat loving plants like tomatoes and peppers.

Supplemental light placed within a few inches of the plants with 12-14 hours day cycle.

Adequate moisture but not overwatered. This is helped by having good seed starting mix.

Starting many kinds of plants from seed is easy, but these major needs must be met in order to have thick healthy plants.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2cents
Green Thumb

Ditto on what alex says

Curly

Ok, thanks. I guess I figured they were getting enough natural light, but need to add some artificial lights. Sorry, I'm new here so I didn't see the other posts, but I'll start using the search feature more often.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ditto on what's been said. Sitting pots in a window sill just doesn't make it; they need lots more light. See my post under Organic Gardening for pictures of what a good seed starting operation looks like and description. I've been raising hundreds of healthy seedlings a year, for years now and it is easy if you give them what they need. good luck!

Jbest

If you have leggy plants, the best thing to do is lower the ambient temperature and increase the light. I leave my lights on 24/7 and the temperatures. at 55-60 deg f. The bottom heat is between 75-80 deg f.

John

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”