WAYNE BODKINS

ASPARAGUS BED

I HAVE BEEN GIVEN ACCESS TO AN ESTABLISHED ASPARAGUS BED THAT IS APPROX 10 YRS OLD AND HAS BEEN AN HISTORICALLY GOOD PRODUCER. I AM NEEDING TO KNOW WHEN TO CUT THE FERNS OFF AND WHEN TO FERTILIZE, WATER, ETC. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
:D THANKS
KANSAS GARDENER

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not an expert, maybe you will hear from others that are, but in my experience you would cut all the ferns down in the fall after they've turned yellow, to keep asparagus beetles etc, from over wintering in them. Asparagus is a heavy feeder. You would want to lay down a heavy layer of manure or compost right after you quit harvesting and then again in the spring. In the spring you want to be sure you are not piling too densely to keep the sprouts from coming up through it. An established bed you can pick all of the thick stalks until june-ish. Water regularly through the growing season, unless you've gotten plenty of rain. Anybody that knows more than me want to add/ comment. I have a small asparagus bed I just planted last year, haven't really gotten to the "established bed" part...

2cents
Green Thumb

WB
rainbow has good ideas.
I'd stick with a heavy feeding once every other fall or medium feed every fall. Well after they start to turn yellow. Horse manure is fine cow would be better. Chemical fertilizer can also be helpful(few here will suggest using chemicals). I'd cut the ferns in November/December and give to anyother gardener to compost who doesn't have asparagus, or just mow/mulch.
If they are in raised beds, yes you may need to water, but I only would during extreme drought(30+ days no rain). They have extensive root systems and usually are okay without water for established beds. They grow asparagus in Western Peru, the most arid place on earth.
Is this bed weed free or what is the layout and weed/grass situation? This can affect the feeding cycle.

Rainbow do you think you will have a harvest this year?
Remember the 2-4-6-8-10 weeks theory of how long you can harvest.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Man I've heard Asparagus can keep producing for 50+ years if its treated well (thats amazing!). The first few years you don't want to cut any, its to be well established first I've heard. Since its a ten year old bed you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know much about watering it or anything...I'll let a more knowledgeable person answer that. :D

WAYNE BODKINS

2cents: This bed is not weed/grass free, however it will be a lot closer to it shortly :D . also, this bed is along a wood fence and it is raised above the other ground maybe 6 inches.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

read Cynthia H's post under length of asparagus roots. They grow asparagus in Peru because it is irrigated.... They grow it there because their seasons are opposite us, so that we can have winter asparagus, not because it is somehow adapted to living in the desert.

2cents
Green Thumb

WB,

Yes, Cynthia H forwarded a couple websites, one of them revealed the roots can reach ten feet deep :shock:
I've heard so many extraordinary things about asparagus roots, I just don't doubt what these sites say about the plants ability to search out water and nutrients.
I'm not an expert, so I'll let the watering issue pass after this post. Dad(NEOhio), had Asp. for 20+ years. Says you never have to water them. He planted his crowns 18-24 inches deep(I helped dig the trench, they were deep).
After his free weed pullers moved out. He started to let the lawn/grass grow over them. He would cut shoots 2/3 times a week, then mow the row short. And come back and cut shoots in a few days and mow again.
It was a great method and it was more than Mom, Dad, and Aunt June could eat.
Mine are in a raised bed(2x8). As Rainbow knows we have heavy clay in SWOhio, the beds are built up with sand and compost only. Due to the extreme drought of the last 2 years, they had gotten a little yellow, so I watered. But they are in a new bed and roots can't be that deep.
I'm hoping to have a small harvest this year, but who knows what I'll get.
Good luck.

2cents
Green Thumb

WB,
Careful what you read in this forum, it is just like any other source.
Some are talking from experience or first hand knowledge. Some is second hand knowledge. And sometime, others just repeat something when they have no first hand knowledge or experience.

WAYNE BODKINS

YA KNOW, 2cents, THE MOWING METHOD DOES MAKE, AT THE EXPENSE OF MAKING A BAD PUN "SENSE" BECAUSE IN THE AREAS WHERE WILD PATCHES GROW SUCH AS DITCHES, IT SEEMS TO GROW THERE JUST FINE AND GETS MOWED REGULARLY EACH GROWING SEASON.
I MAY TRY IT AND REPORT BACK BY EARLY SUMMER TO GIVE A "HOW IT WENT" REPORT :P !

2cents
Green Thumb

WB,
Dad had his mower close at hand to mow after every picking. Since the shoots grew faster than the grass, he liked that method. The grass there was the greenest and fastest growing in the yard, remember he fertilized w/manure. Those were not raised beds, simple flat mowing. Originally they were in the garden, as the free weed puller moved out, the garden got smaller and they eventually were in the yard.
Dad had a good 8-10 inch loam, what is the dirt like at your place?

WAYNE BODKINS

2cents: It can range from fairly loose and loamy to almost untillable hardpan. the soil in the area where the bed is consists of a pretty good mix of compost,peatmoss or humous and silty loam soil. Most soil in our area is clay type harder soils until you get close the river bottom, then it is pretty good! :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have a 12 year old asparagus bed. I harvest for six weeks then let it grow up. At the first frost, I run the lawn mower over the bed. Fertilize in the fall with manure. If you are using bagged fertilizer you can apply in the spring.

About water: Since the humidity and rain fall varies so much across the country, it is impossible for me to say how much you should water, as I have never gardened in Kansas. In areas where crops can be raised without irrigation, asparagus will grow fine without irrigation. Here in dry utah, you will need to water it weekly.

It is good to keep the weeds and grass at bay if you can.

You will soon be having some nice spears. Enjoy!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”