smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Starting growing indoors

I started some seeds indoors and I was was wondering about a few things.

1. I started them in peat pots in one of those containers that has a clear lid to keep in the moister. It seemed to work fine last year but I didn't know if there was a better way or if that was fine.

2. Since this is in my basement I needed some light. I'm just using a simple shop fixture with a 25 watt florescent bulb on a timer for 9 hours. Is that fine or should I use 2 bulbs or something with a higher wattage or have it on longer?

3. Since it is in the basement it's usually in the low 60 deg. Is that fine or do they need a little more warmth? If they do I think I saw those little heating pads you can put under the pot. Are those recommended?

Let me know of any other ideas you may have for starting things indoors. This is really only my second year so I've got lots to learn.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

"1. I started them in peat pots in one of those containers that has a clear lid to keep in the moister. It seemed to work fine last year but I didn't know if there was a better way or if that was fine."

Probably o.k., but after germination, I prefer mine to get some air circulation.

" 2. Since this is in my basement I needed some light. I'm just using a simple shop fixture with a 25 watt florescent bulb on a timer for 9 hours. Is that fine or should I use 2 bulbs or something with a higher wattage or have it on longer?"

I would recommend 12-14 hours per day. Make sure the bulb is within a few inches of the plants. It really depends on how much surface area that you are trying to illuminate. I would want at least 15-20 watts per square foot.

"3. Since it is in the basement it's usually in the low 60 deg. Is that fine or do they need a little more warmth? If they do I think I saw those little heating pads you can put under the pot. Are those recommended?"

IMO 60 degrees is way too cool. Things like tomatoes, bell pepper, egg plants, and most warm weather crops prefer 70-80 degrees. In your basement, I would recommend using some kind of heat matt to give 70+ degrees of bottom heat. I use a Kane heating mat for dogs. IMO is likely a superior product to plant heating mats. Is more durable with heating cable inside of a heavy plastic case. The plants are kept over bottom trays so that water doesn't get on the mat, but the mat looks waterproof or water resistant anyway. For kool weather crops like lettuce or arugula 60 degrees is great.

good luck,

Alex

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Alex, thanks for tips. I do remove the top once they germinate. I'll have to bump up my lighting for a few more hours and I'll look at one of those mats you talked about.

I guess it would of helped to state what I was growing. I was starting some basil, tomatoes, cabbage, and bell peppers.

Thanks again

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

indeed, as you've heard. Lots more light and warmth. I have a workbench in my basement with lights hung over it. I have two shop light fixtures with 2 bulbs each, total 4. They are hung to be just a few inches over the plants (on chains, so when the plants get bigger the lights can be raised). They are on about 16 hrs a day. I have two heating pads to germinate the seeds on. You can get fancy expensive ones in the garden catalogs, but I just got the cheapest regular heating pads from the pharmacy (don't get the more expensive ones, they have automatic off switch!). They are on 24 hrs a day for several months each year and have lasted for about a decade so far... Once the seeds have sprouted and have true leaves, I move them off the pads. It slows them down a bit, but I worry about how much power my seed starting operation consumes, so I don't want to add more pads. My basement is probably a bit warmer than yours, at least in the daytime, but not as warm as the tomatoes and basil would really like, but they handle it. Keeps them from getting leggy while they are waiting to go out. But they have to be warm to sprout. Too much moisture kills lots more seedlings than too little. Once your seeds have sprouted, take the top off and be sure they have air circulation and don't overwater...

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

good tips. I ended up moving the tomatoes, basil, and peppers upstairs on top of the refrigerator and I think it was on Wednesday it was really sunny so I moved them to a south facing window in the kid's room so they could get some real sun light. I think that helped a lot. 7 of my 10 cherry tomatoes plants spouted and started growing nuts. 8 of my larger tomato's started to spout and my basil started to spout. Once they start getting leaves I move them outside of the container so they can get air. I'll be moving them back downstairs where it will be a bit cooler and hopefully slow them up a bit but they will have a more constant light then on top the refrigerator. And It sounds like I may have to lower my shop light a bit. Mine is about 2 ft off the plants.

I'll have to look at getting just a plain heating pad when I start more or next year. I don't think the wife is really fond of me having plant trays on top of her refrigerator. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

See my post under Organic Gardening for pics and description of my indoor seed starting operation.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”