RosieRenee

Seedling Giveaway Garden Party

For the last two years, I've started a variety of seedlings, mostly vegetable, but also some annuals, perennials and herbs, in my very inexpensive hardware store-bought greenhouses.

In May, I've held a "garden party" and have asked my guests to bring some potting soil and pots, and have sent them home with goodies for their gardens. The easiest vegetable items for transplanting have been lettuce, onions, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, beans and peas. Since most of my friends aren't as fanatical as I am about gardening, the party becomes instructional, also. When I originally sent out the invitations, I told them how to prepare their soil.

This is a very fun way to spread the love of gardening and the joys of fresh eating, not to mention giving a little boost to the environment and to your friends' pocketbooks come harvest time.

I figure I spent about $60 or so, which was money well-spent. I re-used the little plastic nursery tubs, filled them with potting soil and planted the seeds. It was a labor of love.

Just wanted to pass this idea along in case any of you are looking for a fun way to spread the love of gardening and combine it with a fun get-together. Enjoy!

webmaster
Site Admin

That's a great idea. :)

Now, what kind of hor d'oeuvres did you serve and did they come from your garden? (not to mention the yummy white wine Washington is famous for. ) ;)

RosieRenee

Good question! I served as much garden-related food as I could - pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, salads and an apple pie. No wine, alas, but that's a good idea!

RosieRenee

I forgot the other part of your question (new at this!). The zucchini and pumpkin were preserved from the last year, and the lettuce was fresh, but the party was in May, and in Western Washington, that was too early for all the salad ingredients!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”