Lazieninjafrog

Butter Lettuce in a pot?

We got one of those organic grow-in-the-fridge-and-eat-it-fresh (I don't know what they're rlly called) Butter lettuce heads. It has a bundle of
roots and everything. However, we tried to keep it in water and stick it in the window instead of the fridge (we aren't eating it, its gonna be for the garden when winter's over) Well I discovered (a week later) that some of the roots were molding. :( We got another one and I planted it in a clay pot (its in the window too) Which one is more likely to give us seeds? Should I just but the other one in dirt too?

pd

Hello Maive,
To me here in the UK butter lettuce is a fairly large, loose headed type and I think in the USA they may also be known as 'Boston Lettuce'.
I can't imagine they would grow in the fridge but it would of course help to keep them fresher until eaten.
As in my reply to your previouse post on rooting in water, few plants will root satisfactorily.
I doubt if your butter lettuce will ever produce useable seed when grown on the windowsill from purchased lettuces.
The only lettuce type I would consider growing on the kitchen windowsill is a 'cut-and-come-again' type where you snip off the young leaves and further leaves will be produced. Sorry to have to be negative in my reply to your question.

Lazieninjafrog

NP ^_^ thanks for the advice tho.

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

I have been growing lettuce hydroponically for years. It should be started in liquid to grow in liquid though, as the roots will be different. Soil grown plants have small hairs on the roots, and liquid grown plants do not. If the plant has been previously planted in soil it will be a problem, but not the other way around. Recently I have switched to LED lighting. It is inexpensive to operate, and works great.

[img]https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/1104.jpg[/img]

If you have an interest my blog has photos:
https://hydroponicworkshop.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Hydrogardener on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazieninjafrog

OMGSH X3 Thank you sooo much. I linked to your blog. X3 Those pics
were very encourageing. X33 I think I'll keep reading it XD

Thankz

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”