buckbuster

Turkey Crap!

I have a student who said i could have a truck load of turkey crap. he said its a really good natural fertalizer, any one have any opinions.
brad

annafaie
Cool Member

I'm no expert but I would assume that turkey manure is similar to chicken manure and therefore it would be just fine to use in gardening.
Thanks! Anna

Jbest

No, do not put it anywhere near your garden. Send it up to me and I will get rid of it for you. You don't have to thank me.

John
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy crap what a ride!!"

soil
Greener Thumb

make sure it is aged before use in the garden, or better yet compost it with other materials for an all around slow release biologically high fertilizer.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

Timlin

I agree with Soil. Be sure not to use it before composting it a bit....alone, with other ingredients but don't use it fresh.....it will be too hot and it will burn whatever your growing.

Using it after it's aged a wee bit is just a super fertilizer.

Jbest

The best thing to do with it is to compost it. :) The second best thing to do is, spread it on your garden in the fall about 1 to 2 ins deep and spade it under. 8) Not much more than 2" or you will get beautiful plants but no produce in spring. :roll:

John
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy crap what a ride!!"

Snippy

Turkey Crap

As said before, don't use it fresh. We had neighbours that used fresh chicken manure and it burned everything they planted. If you have ever been in a turkey or chicken barn, the overpowering smell of ammonia is amazing. :shock: At one time in my life, I gathered chicken eggs; fresh chicken crap is enough to make you swoon. I am sure the garden will thank you if spread it in the fall first. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”