SlipperyPete
Newly Registered

Need help growing for the first time

Hey, my situation is as follow. I'm a student in an aesthetic course and for a project, I want to grow a plant that is either curious looking or that would be interesting to grow. The plant does not necessarily need to be exotic and I would prefer if I could buy the seed in person (not online). I live in Orlando, Fl just in case anybody has a place I can buy seeds.

I started today the process of trying to grow Emerald Artichokes (I bought at Home Depot). I have five seeds that are currently under two T12 lights, they're 2 feet in lenth. I plotted them in rockwool (bought at local hydro shop). Since I just started them, I did all the basic setup but I'm not sure of the habit I should pick up in taking care of them.

-I would like some recommendation of how much water/nutritient I should put. Any recommendation of nutritient. I've read that as seeds, the light should be on 24 hours. After that, I'll leave the light on 16-18 hours a day. The light is currently 3-4 inches above the rockwool. Also, how much water do I put each day? I read for some plants, to just wet it until the water is dripping from under the rockwool/plot.

-Is this plant to hard to maintain in Florida? I've heard that they don't fare well with the climate, but it's indoors and pretty cool in here.

-Is there a plant that is better for maintaining for a beginner? I have about 2-3 months to nurture the plant. I don't need the plant to be mature, but big enough to mark it as a distinct species (by the design of the leaves, or stalk for example)

-My uncle uses newspapers outside for his garden to stimulare oxygen, does this work inside?

applestar
Mod

two tropical fruit trees that I think look rather interesting, even as seedlings are papaya and starfruit. I was able to sprout and grow about 2 dozen one year and it didn't seem very difficult, although I don't remember how long it took, etc. I've never grown starfruit myself but someone had a photo up and it looked pretty cool. I guess only downside with these is that they may take 2~4 weeks to sprout, leaving you only a couple of months growth. I've always thought that sprouting coconut looks rather interesting too (very sculptural), although I don't know how fast they sprout or grow. :cool:

Vegetable-wise, Romanesco cauliflower is really cool looking-- can you say fractal? -- quick search indicates it takes 70~90 days to maturity, so that might be pushing the envelope, but you'll probably get the "looks" before it's fully mature anyway. In Florida, this is probably the right time of the year to start them since I believe it should be grown in cooler weather. Only other ? I have is do you have to grow hydroponically (I'm assuming that's what you're doing with rockwool....), and do you have to start from seed? :D

While I was at it, I checked "days to maturity" for Emerald Artichokes, and it's 180-360 days. So you're not likely to get the flower bud that is the edible artichoke in the time given - in fact, apparently, the budding occurs in the 2nd year. I've never grown them myself, but since Artichokes are a member of thistle family, wouldn't they be rather prickly and hard to handle as they grow? Is the plant itself interesting? Some things to consider.... :wink:

FYI - If you decide to go with flowers, Johnny's Selected Seeds lists days to flower in their online catalog. Not all seed packets/catalogs do that.

SlipperyPete
Newly Registered

I guess I want to start from seed because I see that as part of the task of growing plants. If I get a plant, I think it's harder to pick up the habit I need to keep it alive. Like when to water, when to turn off the lights.

I know some basic information on artichoke, but it's hard to find info on plants when growing with a hydroponic method, unless you're growing a specific herb.

Thanks for the site and response. I've been trying to find the romanesco broccoli seeds in stores, but I guess I have to buy it online.

Also, my grandmother had a papaya tree and my uncle has a starfruit tree. They do look cool, and never thought about growing it. Thanks for the idea.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”