cynicalbrat79

Why Did My Vegetable Garden Fail?

Oh man, I could use some help
I tried starting from seed last year, I tried corn, tomaotes, green beans, lettuce, and zuchinni, non of which did good or tasted any better. The corn was pittiful, the zucchinni was over taken by mold, the beans and lettuce were limp, I hardly had a pepper on my pepper plant and the tomatoes tasted bitter and gross and not nearly as good as the tomatoes I bought already started in the pot.

Any suggestions to how I can get a better start this year?
I know I did not have optimal growing weather last summer but I think part of my issues were due to being a novice. Maybe I am not planting in the right areas either. I have a 48 x 6 foot spot in the back of my yard that is mostly sunny until late afternoon. I have another spot 3/4 that size that is shade in the morning and full sun in the afternoon. I live in the chicagoland are which means hellish temps in late june - late august.

This is what I want to grow
I'd like to try growing corn, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and possibly green beans and lettuce but the stinking squirrels eat the corn and the bunnies eat my lettuce and beans.

What am I to do?
How can I give my garden the best start, and keep it thriving? Do I give up on certain veggies? I know this is a tall order but I want to be a good and successful gardener, Thanks!

Cuke

Hm,To your first part about your seeds not working out too well,is the soil well drained?How often do you water/how much?

You can start with the seeds indoors under a grow light (I have not done this so maybe someone else could offer better advice for this) so they have a good start.

And to keep out suirrels,that's the hard part,they climb over everything just to dig and eat.To keep rabbits out,you could try a repellent or get a 22 inch + chicken wire fence so it's harder for them to jump over.It would be very very expensive for your larger garden,but it could work for the smaller one.Or for the veggies that the rabbits eat,just fence those off and not the rest.

Website for various squirrel devices.Some of which I might use!
https://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-squirrels.htm

nvenice
Newly Registered

Hmmm, it sounds to me like your garden doesn't get enough light. All the veggies you wish to grow, with the exception (maybe) of the squash and the lettuce need a minimum of 6 full hours of sun. Also, did you prepare the beds well? Most veggies are heavy feeders and need a good smattering of compost worked into the soil before planting.

Keep trying, it's well worth the effort. Good Luck!

rootsy
Green Thumb

Without actually knowing the growing site it is difficult to comment. Location, soil structure, PH, nutrient levels... Your practices... Quality of seed... All of those come well into play and have a direct bearing on plant growth and production...

cynicalbrat79

I don't know if I mentioned but I am from the Chicagoland area. The soil out here is mostly clay-ish, Usually I don't have an issue with drainage although last year we had tsunami like rains and my husband put in a rain catch system that would water too so it's possible we did over water on occasion. My house faces south, and there is a tree in my yard but the spot and the back of the yard is super sunny especially from 10:30 until at least 6:30, and the other spot is up against the west side of the house an will only get sun after 12:30, and I never grow much there aside from a few iris', day lillies and ground cover.

The seeds I bought were from Blaines Farm & Fleet, I am not sure of the brand, but are there some brands that will give me better results than others? I started the seeds with a seed starting kit that had some kind of nutrients in the soil it came with. I did buy feed with extra nitrogen for the corn on a recommendation, but the corn was next to the tomatoes, is that bad? If so what can grow near each other and what shouldn't?

The year before last I used a miracle grow product to turn into the soil and I mostly grew tomatoes which did fabulous, (I coulda had my own tomatoe farmstand I had a riduculous amount of awesome tomatoes) I also grew green peppers and spagehtti squash which also did well. I tried to get cucumbers to grow but they "bit the dust".

On a side note, I also am suspicious that the kids were watering the plants with the pool water.

I am really appreciative of your help,thanks

webmaster
Site Admin

>>>The soil out here is mostly clay-ish

What you described above seemed like a lack of healthy soil. Plants like corn have heavy nutrient needs so maybe might want to hold back on that until you have worked on the soil. You may want to dig around in the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35]Compost Forum[/url] to get some ideas of how you can get your soil in shape.

Here's a good article that goes in depth about [url=https://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/articles/improving-clay-soils.aspx]changing the composition of clay soil[/url]so that it is appropriate for a home garden.

My initial management strategy centered on adding as much organic matter as deeply as I could, because, generally, the application of organic matter to soil improves both structure and tilth, and contributes to improvements in overall soil health.

My long-range management strategy attempts to build available organic carbon and humus and to promote nutrient cycling through regular applications of compost, manure, and other organic matter, the incorporation of cover crops as green manures, rotations that include grasses and legumes, and reduced tillage.

...Composts are integral to my clay soil management plan. Because of the humified nature of compost and its low concentrations of oxidizable carbon and available nitrogen, compost is relatively resistant to further decomposition, and additions of compost to the soil over time can increase the soil's organic carbon and humic matter content. I add compost not so much to provide nutrients as to provide stabilized organic matter that will improve the physical properties of the soil.

coloradogardening

Living here in Colorado the first thing we have to address is our soil, since it is either clay or sand. I feel that is the first thing you need to address. Get a soil test done on your garden area. Your county extension should be able to do that for you. The idea of adding compost is great. Compost is the life line of a productive and healthy garden.

Starting plants from seed is a wonderful idea since you can select the variety you want and not what your local Wal-Mart or nursery offers. I found starting my seeds indoors and setting out transplants was a lot more productive and succesful rather than starting the seeds in the ground. Some plants grow great from direct seeding but others are better off as transplants, especially tomatoes and other warm weather crops.

Here we get so much unpredictable weather in early spring, that I use cloches and row covers to protect my transplants from the elements. You might want to try those to keep your little critters out. I am lucky the only critters I have to worry about is my two dogs who like to run through my garden. :)

superfleurs

I'm so sorry that you had such bad luck with your first garden. :( That can be really discouraging.

I agree with the others that the quality of your soil will make a difference. Since I don't have masses of free manure, I slip in a small handful of fertilizer at the base of each seed pocket, taking care not to have direct contact with the seeds. A lot of extra work, I know, but I've been very successful, especially with corn, beans, tomatoes and cucumbers. I also cover the garden with most of my autumn leaf drop each fall just to lighten it up as I never seem to have enough compost. Cover crops are also a good idea, but they are a lot of work to till in if you only use manual tools, as I do.

You mention the possibility of your kids watering the garden with pool water? This could definitely be the basis of your problem. A real no-no!

As for the zucchini, look for a disease-resistant variety this year. :wink:

Good luck, I hope you let us know how you get on this year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”