Species-8472

To Soak or Not To Soak

Hi members,

I read in many sources that a little & often is the best way to water vegetables, most sources quoting the drip/seep method whereby you run a seep hose (line/tube with tiny holes for the water to seep out).

But then I see a VHS tape where the gardener says something very interesting that makes me think. He suggests that if you water a little & often, the roots will realise a higher water level around the top of the soil and therefore concentrate most of the roots there. He adds that if you give the plants a good thorough soaking a little less often that the roots will then be more inclined to go deeper & therefore make a stronger plant.

This interests me a lot & I would like to know what the members of this site have to say in their experience. I have been using the drip method for its efficiency of water use since I started as that was the method introduced to me where I first worked in Horticulture.

Which method do you find is the best;

A little & often, or, A lot & less often..?

Damon

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey Damon! I use drippers and soakers as well for water conservation. What I have always done is alot and less often. This makes the roots go deeper for the moisture, and it takes longer for it to evaporate from down deep.
This system also works even better if you then have a great mulch on top of the soil around your plants preventing evaporation and unwanted weeds growing.
Hope this helps! :wink:
VAL

Species-8472

Thanks Val..

I figured it made a bit better sense to me tho I needed to be sure..

I got my greenhouse built yesterday, not as large as I had hoped.. funds are held up for a while but I wanted to start now, so I built an extendable tunnel & I'm designing a nice little efficient home-made watering setup for it. I've been preparing some Moneymaker tomato plants and the seedlings have just sprouted yesterday as well so it's a nice start to hopefully a good long project.

Thanks again Val :)

Damon

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Never a problem Damon - that's what the forum's about!
I envy you your greenhouse! I have a tiny one - 8X10, that is built lean-to style onto one of my sheds, made out of a puzzle of discarded windows.
It works just fine, but I often wish it was bigger, and had this, and had that, and this........... you know! :wink:
VAL

Species-8472

I can see the same predicament already in my visions for the future. Space, bit of this, bit of that. And unfortunately the nearest gardening center is many miles from my home and I without a car lol Oh well..

One thing that has come to my attention: Pollination in Greenhouses. Do you know of an online source that identifies by use of images the male and female flowers of all Veg plants..? I assume most veg are NOT self-pollinating and I don't intend on allowing any insects access to my heaven doh-er I mean greenhouse :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You know, I never have a problem with pollination in my greenhouse, I never can figure out why people do, because I don't do anything special! Just lucky I guess! 8)
There are a couple of sites that may help you, but I don't know of any that just give you identification photos for each plant. Try these and see if they might help:
https://msucares.com/lawn/garden/vegetables/pollination/
https://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/L232.htm
https://www.pumpkinnook.com
https://pollinator.com/hand_pollination.htm

Hope you find something in these helpful! :wink:
VAL

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”