Debatekate
Newly Registered

Indoor Vegetable Garden?

I'm looking to set up an indoor vegetable garden in the next few weeks. I believe I have some full spectrum lights stored somewhere, I just am not sure which plants will do well in an indoor situation. I'm hoping to plant peas, tomatoes (grape, pear or cherry tomatoes are fine), spinach and possibly some cucumbers and peppers. I've grown all of these before but outside. This is my first attempt at a permanent indoor garden. Any advice would be extremely helpful! :D I have a lot of space to work with and I'm not afraid of hard work!

Bina

:shock: You too!
:shock: I thought I was the only one!
I have Tiny Tim tomatoes, hanging basket cucumbers, baby buttercrunch lettuce, basil, spinach, bok choy and mesclun mix all growing under lights in the basement laundry room. I planted on the 21 of October and repotted the last of the tomatoes into hanging baskets today. The lettuce were put into large pots that should sit quite nicely. I still have to pot up the basil to I think I will go to 4-6 inch pots and I should get about 6 pots for pesto sauces. :D
All the plants are really quite happy and we did multiple pots so that when they get to the point that they are producing I can bring them upstairs to the kitchen window for a few days to suffer in the dry air of the house, I can pick off their fruit, leaves etc for cooking and salads. Then just when they start to feel really sorry for themselves I'll put them back downstairs under the lights with the humidity. Then just a grab another pot and that one can take a turn upstairs away from it's nice comfy humidity tray, and lights and so on. I have been using the plastic containers that the mesclun salad comes in from the grocery store for seeding flats, with great success. They're made of a clear nonrecyclable plastic but they've got a nice depth to them a decent lid and I can stack them until they sprout. That's when I ran into a little trouble and had to buy another light. The seed choices got away from me :lol: :lol: it's almost as bad as seed shopping in the spring. I tried to stick to dwarf varieties, and vegies that I knew did well in pots.
Next adventure will be trying mushrooms I think I might have found a supplier in Alberta for cremini, and champignon mushrooms in a box. I might also try an oyster mushroom kit . Which would give us mushrooms and a really nice compost to mix with the vegies and then I can stay organic. So far that has been my main concern because they exhaust there soils so quick and it's a little harder to find very many organic fertilizers in the winter. :o
If I can make the room for another batch of pots I think I want to try peppers, egg plant, green onions and zuchini. Once what I have growing now are big enough to move one of each out of the basement and into the kitchen windows I'll add some more vegies or break down and buy another set up. I can definitely use them come seeding time this spring.
So that is what I have been doing. So far so good, let me know how your experiment works out and I'll keep you posted on mine. The kids have posted a new sign on my laundry room door and I think I just might leave it there.....that'll teach them. It is now officially "Mom's Grow Op".
Bina :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”