Bina

Perenial Vegetables

I'm looking for perenial vegetables that will grow well in zone 2 sunset zone 1B Asparagus, and rhubarb both do really well here but there has to be more I'm looking for suggestions of the odd balls. There has to be perenial greens out there, everything for sale at the greenhouses is always always annual and there has to be more perenials. :?:
The Native Canadians had to eat something other than bison and berries and cattail roots so I am trying to research that at this end as well as herbs. But when you read that we as a species used to eat over 2800 types of plants there reeeeeealy has to be a bigger list than carrots, tomatoes, corn, potatoes, lettuce, spinach etc.
I found a source for Jerusalem Artichokes :) so those are going in, but there has to be more.
Has anyone got any ideas
Bina :)

Zenun

Hi Bina,
I just had a quick look and found these perennial veggies. Not sure if all of them will do well in your zone but I'd say that most of them would.

‣ Perpetual Spinach Beet - Beta vulgaris
‣ Rainbow Chard Five Colour Mix (also a silver beet)
‣ Sorrel - Rumex sp. (mainly used is soaps and salads)
‣ Welsh Onions (self seed)
‣ Seven Year Beans (die back in winter but shoot up again in spring)
‣ Rocoto Tree Chilli
‣ Chilli Birds Eye
‣ Sweet Potato ipomea batatus
‣ Yacon - apple of the earth - smallanthus sonchifolius (sweeter than sweet potato)
‣ Broccoli
‣ Chives
‣ Chokos
‣ Fennel
‣ Ginger
‣ Lemon Balm
‣ Rocket
To name a few. Another website illustrates not only vegetables but trees, vines shrubs and berries as well as veggies and herbs https://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Perennial_Foods
Hope that helps :D
Good luck with it all.

applestar
Mod

That's a good link! I've bookmarked it so I can go back and really look it over.
Here's another one -- St. Lawrence Nurseries -- for extreme northern gardeners: https://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/index.html
Canadian Customers
If you are willing to pay the $25 charged by the USDA to write a phytosanitary certificate, and would like to import nut trees or other allowed species (no apples, pears, plums, cherries or apricots, ) write or phone us several months in advance of the proposed order. You will need an import permit.
I've seen this one mentioned a lot in various blogs, but haven't purchased from them before myself.

Here's another extreme northern nursery with seriously interesting info pages: https://www.edibleforestnursery.com/Information%20Index.htm

I'm slowly reaching the conclusion that it might be best to get nursery stock from growers in the same USDA Zone, AND at least similar habitat (Sunset Zones, Cynthia?) as my garden or as close as, AND as geographically close as possible for minimum shipping distance/stress. Generally go with further north for better cold hardiness, further south for better heat resistance. So even though there are many INTERESTING nurseries in California, for instance, I would only use them for research, not to order.
-- I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this (maybe I should start a thread of my own! :roll: )

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

OK, I'll rise to that bait.

In the 1997 Sunset National Garden Book, there were three Sunset zones in New Jersey. From north to south:

Zone 37 (which lies mostly north of I-78 and west of I-87): "Hudson Valley and Appalachian Plateau."

Zone 34 (a generally west-to-east trending zone which includes Harrisburg, Lebanon, Reading, Lancaster, and Pottstown, PA; NYC; Long Island, and southern CT): "Lowlands and Coast from Gettysburg to North of Boston."

Zone 32 (from Princeton south, in NY; also includes Delaware and a fair portion of Maryland): "Interior Plains of Mid-Atlantic States; Chesapeake Bay, Southwestern Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey." Well, that's what the caption says, anyway; the map CLEARLY shows SouthEASTERN Pennsylvania.

If any of these sounds like where you live, let me know and I'll type more detail. I just can't type all three of them--1) hands are very tired, 2) Sunset actually did the copyrighted work! :)

Each Sunset climate description gives examples of shrubs and trees which thrive in that zone; individual plant listings in the book give suggestions for cultivars of common fruits and veggies vis-a-vis their zone numbers.

BTW, Sunset discerned 45 climate zones on the North American continent, plus 3 in Alaska and 2 in Hawaii. This is clearly a much finer and more precise description of where we live than the 11 USDA Hardiness zones. But do a search on Sunset climate zones here at THG to "hear" my entire (and well-rehearsed) "speech" on Sunset zones... :lol:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9 (there. I've reversed the order of my zones!)

Bina

:? Thanks for the links guys and I'll see what they have for ideas but they are no where near extreme I'd love to have their weather! Actually I do sort of chuckle and then cry when I see the gardening shows talking about how cold Maine is. :lol: I am a USDA zone 2, a zone 1b in Sunset lingo. (Thanks Cynthia) so I look longingly at the climates of Maine, Wisconsin, Michigan, Upstate New York, New England and actually some parts of Alaska have better weather than I do. :cry: :cry: :: I also live in Alberta Canada which is pretty much famous for it's chinooks which coming blowing through melting off any snow cover that has accumulated and leaves everything wide open to the drop to -20 celcius and -50 celcius is not unheard of 24 hours later. :cry: :cry:
This fact does not stop me from trying to tempt the fates, push the envelope in all matter of ways, and try anything that might possibly have a shot at doing well. :wink: So now I want to expand my collection of perenial edibles, and expand my adventures in the kitchen as well. The list from Applestar contains a couple that I have never heard of and if it sounds like they might work I will definitely look for a source. :) There are some on there I have, and some I already know are out for sure. Ginger we are trying in a pot right now cause that is probably like a zone 7 to my 2, even the lemon balm, brocoli, and fennel are all annuals here unless you pot them up and bring them in. This year I have them all tucked up under burlap duvets watered in well with whey and water, hoping they will survive. Most mints will make it and most thymes, catnip is hit or miss as is tarragon and I am convinced that chives will grow north of the arctic circle. They grow well in Dawson City because that is where the starter on my clumps came from. :lol:
Asparagus loves this climate but needs a good mulch to make the winter, Rhubarb does well but again that is another one that I know grows well in the arctic. Daylillies grow well here and I had the chance to try them so they are now on my list of edibles. I wish I could find a parsnip that could be overwintered but I have tried leaves and covers and straw and but they just can't take the bitter cold and get all woody. :(
The bean that dies down to the ground may have a shot and there is a couple of names on there that I don't really know at all so I see what I can find out and keep you posted. I would really like to get some height in the garden.
As for the question of staying local for sourcing plant material for all tree materials I have to stay within Alberta even for my firewood. You see I have an American Elm Tree growing in my yard. My mother loves my elm tree you see she hadn't seen one since she was a kid. Dutch Elm Disease had wiped them all out years ago in the Eastern part of Canada so since Alberta is Dutch Elm Disease free I buy that sort of stuff here. We're also a rat free zone but that is a whole other conversation. There are some things that I just can't get and it would almost be worth the 25.00 just to get a bigger variety of nut bushes. I tend to source heritage and as close to home as I can for most things I just find it easier.
Bina :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bina,

Don't forget Garlic, hardy perennial. I don't know how I could cook without Garlic.

Norm

mr_tumnas

There's a great book by Eric Toensmeier called 'Perennial Vegetables' that covers over 100 different species. It's really quite an amazing book filled with a slew of info and pictures. I would definitely give it a look. Most of the species are moer for the lower half of the U.S., but there are quite a few cold tolerant species.

applestar
Mod

Bina - I know you said no berries but --
https://grow.ars-informatica.ca/plant.php?L=669&nm=Vaccinium%20vitis-idaea
Vaccinium vitis-idaea, the mountain cranberry or lingonberry, shares the same conditions, and is hardy to zone 1. Spacing plants 1' apart. While self-fertile, cross-pollination can increase fruit set
Vaccinium angustifolium, the low-bush blueberry, is hardy to zones 2-6.
I have two little V. angustifolum bushes I bought at a native plant sale this spring. I moved them this autumn because they seemed to be languishing in a shadier location than I'd realized. (They actually had a pretty extensive root system going). I gave them to my kids' garden that I just re-configured, so now they have strawberries AND blueberries! :wink: I've enlarged the beds and put up permanent trellises so they can plant what they want in the spring. I do have to build a bunny-proof fence around the area and install a couple of gates. I found the perfect gates on sale and bought them... now they're sitting in their shipping packages because I can't decide what kind of fence material to use (and it suddenly got COLD! low 20's during the night and barely out of 30's during the day -- the ground froze! :( How's your weather up there?)

Cynthia - I lost sight of this thread -- I think I'm in SSZ 32. I did check their website a while back and it seemed like my zone was not widely distributed for some reason... :?: Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

applestar: I revived a thread entitled "Sunset zones," where I have responded to you rather than drag this thread off-message.

Zone 32 actually covers a LOT of ground! Take a look...

The thread is stashed under "What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere."

Cynthia

damethod

Not veggies.. but I've read that you can grow Apples, Oaks, Lilacs, and Grapes in your zone. I've read about some type of berry as well...possibly wolfberry. Not sure though.

Bina

:D Thanks for the information everyone and the list of berries and fruit that grow here is actually quite long.
I have cherries, raspberries, strawberries, dewberries, saskatoons, blueberries, and apples.
I want to put in grapes, kiwis, pears, plums, and I found a fig yes a fig that is supposed to be hardy to zone 2? I also have ordered a couple of elderberries that should work quite well, in a sheltered spot.
I also have found out that there are a couple of edible ferns that should give me a few meals of fiddleheads in a couple of years. 8) Mushroom sources are still a little scarce but a friend of mine is going to send me some spores from Ontario
8) So there are some sources that I have picked up and I am waiting patiently for catalogues to come in the mail so that I can order really strange things such as whitloof, and asparagus peas. I can't wait and right now it is 36 below zero Celsius so the garden gods are making me plan carefully and teaching me the benefits of patience......I don't want to be patient :!: I want flowers, herbs, vegies, berries and springtime sunshine. :wink:

Happy New Year to everyone.
Bina :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Witloof is the Belgian variety of endive (chicory), prized for the "chicons" which are forced in dark growing chambers and are totally YUMMY.

Two light-hearted remarks about Patience:

1) A hand-drawn cartoon of two vultures flying above the desert. One of them says to the other, "Patience, my ***! I'm going to KILL something!" :)

2) And, of course, the ancient prayer: "God give me patience. RIGHT NOW!" :lol:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”