Bina

Has anyone ever grown mushrooms in their basement??

Has anyone ever grown edible mushrooms in there basement? Or anywhere else for that matter. After trying to look into it on line I found a source for the syringes of spores for portabellos and for oyster mushrooms and you would be amazed at what all else. I'm not a prude but :shock: if nothing else it was an education.
Anyway back to the point, before I go and buy these things and possible shock the post mistress when I go pick up a syringe or two can some one tell me what you, how you grow these things in your house over the winter. I have not been able to find out a lot of cultivation information on edible mushroom culture for the home owner, lots for large scale, lots of kits and lots of of well the police would come knocking I'm sure. :shock:
Some of the recommendations on line were to say the least were confusing on one hand :roll: and possible fairly odoriferous (see stinky) :eek: on the other. The kits offer a really good neat odorless option but there has to be a way that I can DIY it.
Has anyone had success?

Bina

mr_tumnas

Growing certain types of mushrooms is very easy. A simple oyster mushroom kit basically does all the work by itself and really might be your best option to get started
. I used to grow a lot of shiitake mushrooms. The process really isn't that mystical. Cut up hardwood logs, drill holes in them, hammer in the mycelium plugs you can buy online, wax over the holes and you're pretty much set.

Never grown in sawdust myself, or inside. Just out in the woods with sweetgum and oak logs.

Bina

Thanks a lot Mr Tumnas now the search is on for a company selling in Canada. :lol: It's so much easier when you don't have to worry about customs and duties and shipping and exchange and all the rest of it.
We want to grow Cremini/Portabello mushrooms or possibly White Buttons. I have found a source for the Morrells that I want to try outside in the spring but they only sell the syringes not the kits. It's the perfect year to do it since I am redoing a corner of my garden which is the perfect spot and they won't be in a place that gets trampled at all. Those I can't wait to try. :)
Bina

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”