CatnipandChives
Newly Registered

Dead Broccoli Comes Alive?

I have recently started composting and I threw some broccoli into my bin about three or four weeks ago and now it is sprouting. I didn't understand why it should be sprouting?

pd

I would say it is naturally continuing growing and possibly aided by a little warmth from the compost heap and also darkness if it is under other material. It will eventually give up and begin to decay. It is a good thing to cut or chop up brassica stems and heads before composting.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Compost is funny that way: I'll never know what I"ll find still alive or growing in mine. Very often the seeds I've thrown in there (like green pepper) will sprout in big groups. And before I knew better, I'd throw dandilions w/ roots attached and find the root with new growth. Oh well, at least it's broccoli and not dandilions!!

pd

The problem is lack of heat. Warm enough to induce growth, even in rootles stems depending upon what plant they come from; but not hot enough to kill either whole plants, seeds or many harmful organisms. This is especially so at this time of the year and throughout winter. I would say compost making is a very exacting procedure to be learned and experimented over before being able to turn garden waste into humus.

Celeferguson

Looks like you've got a classic case of... THE ZOMBIE BROCCOLI!

:lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”