fun_n_thecountry

Things I have learned!

I planted my first garden ever this last summer in southern Louisiana. Boy did I learn a few things! It was one long row about 120ft long. I planted a few tomato plants, green beans and Okra, a couple of Bell Pepper plants and one Jalapeno. A hail storm came through and destroyed all of the green bean sprouts, the bell peppers and the jalapenos. It badly wounded the tomatoes but I was able to save them and get a few. The Okra was just a bunch of stubs sticking up out of the ground but they came back stronger than ever. In the place of the green beans I planted some pumkin seeds. All of the above mentioned stuff is heart breaking for a new gardner but below is where the learning curve kicked in. I planted the pumkins all in a row and they took off! All over the yard! At the end of August, I had a bunch of softball sized pumpkins and they started to rot. Turns out that the grass died underneath and the fruit sunk into the ground. Hurricane Gustav destroyed them ultimately and I marked this off as a learning experience. Next year, I am going to build a mound for the pumkins and use pine straw. I will also plant them later in the year, maybe August 1. I now have two long rows and have some fall stuff planted. Mostly brussel sprouts but also some turnips, Mustard greens and Carrots. I will let you know how it goes and will post pictures soon
Wish me luck!

ndorfinmachine

I feel your pain on losing stuff. It was Tropical storm Fay that destroyed a lot of my plants. As far as pumpkins, you got me beat. I haven't produced one bigger than a golf ball yet before they rot. Been tryin 2 years now and not one pumpkin. Good luck on your fall garden. I'm enjoying mine right now. Just waiting on my mustards to get a little bigger.

mr_tumnas

Sounds like you're having fun and thats the important thing. I'm from Washington Parish, and growing down here is definitely a huge challenge. Keep it up!

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Good luck for next year!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”