STF

Empty Okra pods?

I got my Okra in really late this year and it didn't start producing till around mid to early Sep. Well now its still producing but a lot of the pods are empty. Is it time to cut it down and till for next spring or is there something I can do. It hasn't frozen here yet but it was 44* this morning.

STF

Anybody?

fun_n_thecountry

I pulled mine down the first week of Sept. Some of the plants were still producing and I let a few get real big and put them up for next year. I needed the garden space for fall and winter stuff. I am a new gardnerand don't know a whole lot about it, but here in Louisiana, most everyone's Okra is pulled up by now. If it is starting to get cold, it may just be late in the year. Good luck!
Having fun in the country!

STF

fun_n_thecountry wrote:I pulled mine down the first week of Sept. Some of the plants were still producing and I let a few get real big and put them up for next year. I needed the garden space for fall and winter stuff. I am a new gardnerand don't know a whole lot about it, but here in Louisiana, most everyone's Okra is pulled up by now. If it is starting to get cold, it may just be late in the year. Good luck!
Most everybody I know here has already pulled theirs up too but mine is still producing pretty good. I got mine in really late and I planted them too close together so I'm taking advantage of what I still have producing. The empty pod thing must have been a fluke. They are just fine now.

What are you planning to plant now? I think I will wait till next Spring to do anything again. This was my first year and I learned a lot. Next year should be a lot better.

Believe it or not I have some tomatoes that are about to be harvested, and I am still getting all different types of peppers. I hope it doesnt freeze before they are ready.

fun_n_thecountry

I love Brussel Sprouts so I planted about 25 of those. I also planted Mustard greens, turnips and Carrots. I have two rows about 120ft long. This is my first year with a garden. I am going to add a row every year or so until my back yard is full. Funny story about the Brussels... I thought I was planting cabbage and brussel sprouts but my neighbor told me that he hoped I like the brussels because I will have plenty. I still have fresh Okra that I froze and I think I will smother some tomorrow. I also pickeled a few jars so I have some to snack on after work! Talk soon
Having fun in the country!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We're still getting okra and it is mmmm mmmmm good. I haven't even covered them through 3 frosts. We got great dirt.

applestar
Mod

Like Charlie mentioned, you should be able to protect your veggies for a while by covering them. Earlier, I stapled heavy opaque plastic sheeting on stakes surrounding a small area, and the tomatoes and the bush beans inside were very happy. When it got colder, I clothes-pinned a light-weight fleece cover over them and that got them through a couple of freezing temps... until it plummeted down to 26ºF. :( I still have carrots, turnips, daikon, and kale -- and what I'm pretty sure is claytona :oops: -- in there though. We had a windstorm and the light-weight got all ripped up, so I've replaced with a heavy-weight (tied down with rope and pegs). Now that all the flowering veggies are gone, they probably won't need as much light anyway. For okra and tomatoes, I imagine CLEAR plastic sheeting would work better. :mrgreen:

Oh! Just remembered -- if you can get hold of a roll of bubblewrap, they're supposed to be great for this... hmmm I might try this myself. 8)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”