Ted
Newly Registered
Location: Karkloof, Natal Midlands (30kms from Howick) South Africa

What is a Cost Effective Way to do a Soil Analysis?

Hi Everyone

Can anyone possibly help with a cost effective method of doing basic soil analysis, mainly to get the PH correct.

Thanks in advance for some good advice.

Regards

Yvonne & Ted

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

If all you are looking for is pH then there is a few different things you can use to test that. I just bought a probe that gives me a reading after 1 minute. There are others that will give you a few more readings that you can by at a hardware store. If you need more then that I think you can bring it to some government place and they will do the testing either free or fairly cheep I though. I never had that done and can't remember at this time what it's called. Maybe look up your county's water and soil conservation office and they could tell you.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can buy basic soil testing kit at most places that sell gardening supplies. They are easy to use and reasonably accurate. :)

Ted
Newly Registered
Location: Karkloof, Natal Midlands (30kms from Howick) South Africa

Just a quick and BIG thank you to the folk that kindly responded to
my request for info on Soil Analysis, it's very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Ted

Ria

Hi Ted,

I did some soil testing last weekend using a Mosser Lee Soil Test Kit bought at Lowes, did not cost much.. I was able to test the soil pH, as well as test for the N P K Nutrients so important to plants ( nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. It was quite a cool operation, using the tablets and test tubes which come in the package along with my various soil samples, distilled water and measuring cup. I only needed a lab coat to feel like I was conducting a major scientific research. :D .

I was glad I did the tests as I was about ready to give up growing certain veggies. They were very useful and proved my soil was very low in nitrogen and potassium; pH was a a bit over the ideal so we will be trying to improved the soil to tolerate the needs of the various veggies for next spring when we take up some more of the lawn... Tomatoes did well this year in bit of lawn space we gave up. We are now ready to give up much more :!: ( less grass to cut and more stuff to eat and share).

Hope your test results are better than mine was .
Ria

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”