sinsemilla
Newly Registered

Non Spicy Jalapenos

I have a few questions if you all can help me out
I have 2 chili plants growing, 1 jalapeño and 1 Serrano

ive had them for about a year, and there fruiting.
I don't know if there spicy or not cause I don't like chili, I grow them for my mom since she likes to make fresh salsa's, she says her salsa's always come out good.
but about a month ago my aunt was over and she asked for some chili and I gave her some of my jalapenos, there were picked about 3 days before and in the fridge for storage, and she said they werent spicy, just crunchy, I gave her a red one and a green one. still not spicy just a crunch to them.

so what do you guys suggest to spice up my chili's???

and also I'm pretty sure my jalapeño plant is infested with some sort of
parasite. I have some pictures and maybe you can identify what it is.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/xXMasterShake9Xx/DSC04932.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/xXMasterShake9Xx/DSC04931.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/xXMasterShake9Xx/DSC04930.jpg[/img]

Thanks In Advance

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sinsemilla,

Hello and welcome to the forum. It looks like you are infested with 'mealy bugs'
[img]https://www.uky.edu/Ag/IPM/sponsprj/county02/02marshall/mealybugs.JPG[/img]
what do you guys suggest to spice up my chili's?
I'm not really sure what to say about that. By any chance are the plants from seed that was saved by yourself or another amateur gardener? I assume there is also some variability between individuals. Perhaps just get some new plants and try again.

Norm

RoseBudd1255
Newly Registered

yes the white stuff us mealy bugs. slow moving but persistent, they can be controlled with water, spraying tops and bottoms of leaves, and in the "crooks" where the stems meet the stalk. occasionally mix up a spray bottle of dish soap and water, and spray the plants then spray with a water hose to wash off.

as far as the Jalapenos not being hot, I had that very same problem years ago, either buying the peppers or growing them seemed to be a hit or miss. then I met this very old American Indian who taught me a few things I didn't know about gardening, (and I thought I knew a lot) and he told me the main reason hot peppers are not hot when they should be, is because they were over watered or there was a rainy season that year. he said to wait until the plant starts to wilt then water them. I tried this the next year, making 2 separate pepper gardens, watering one when I thought they needed watering and watering the other when the plants started to wilt and he was right. there was a noticeable differance in the heat index of the pepper plants from the two different gardens. he also told me to pot the pepper plants or dig them up before the first frost and I can replant them or put the pots outside for the next year, just make sure to use container potting soil. I have had the same pepper plants for the past 7 years now, after moving and reestablishing my new garden.

hope person asking this ? comes back and helps others who needs a solution. gl all.

Spicy Chicken

Could be, maybe!

Jalapeno Hybrid called Senorita Jalapeno or False Alarm. They look just about identical to regular Jalapenos... which also turn from green to red at maturity. They main difference, as you've pointed out, is there is basically no heat to them. While normal Jalapenos have about 5000 Scoville Heat units (SHU), the Senoritas are at a level of only 300-400 SHU.

Want to spice things up grab yourself a Mucho Nacho, Jalapeno hybrid with significantly higher heat.

Cheers, Jeff

2cents
Green Thumb

thanks spicy chicken,
I've not known the names before, but I know there are two different types and one is almost a sweet pepper.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

One year, while I was growing peppers in containers, I got next to no heat on most of my hot peppers. I think I over-watered. It never happened again.

veteran

Just to reiterate on what everyone else said: It's because you over watered them. I think I start off each season over-watering my plants, and by the middle of the season kick myself and stop watering so much.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”