ndorfinmachine

Is Spinach Easy to Grow? Any Tips for Growing Spinach?

Got a great deal on some seeds and was wondering: Are they fairly easy to grow? Any good natural fertilizer that suits these plants? I've got a good bit of compost cooking now, but it's not finished yet. Any tips as always would be appreciated.

David Taylor
Cool Member

The efforts you have to make to get a good spinach crop really relies on where you are, what Zone. I'm in Southern California, and in the spring and summer, no matter how much I shade the spinach, it bolts. Even in fall, I'm obliged to shade the stuff a little. Any sustained heat seems to inspire spinach to go to seed. And of course, in winter, the occasional freeze requires clear cover. No matter what, I need to do something more than planting and watering to keep the spinach coming.

I can't find data on what the temp range is, but my experience says anything over a sustained daylight temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and without shade, it bolts. Anything over 85 degrees, sustained, and the spinach will eventually bolt. it's also extremely dry around here, no humidity, so that might be another factor.

During summer, I've found New Zealand Spinach, which isn't a spinach at all, but a vine plant that produces a leaf that looks, smells and tastes like spinach, and has the nutritional value of spinacia oleraces. It tastes a little milder than most spinach.

I'm kind'a curious, what kind of deal did you get on spinach seed? The only deals I seem to get is the seeds I propagate myself.

ndorfinmachine

Lots of good info. Thanks. I actually found these seed packets at a Dollar General store, clearanced for 7 cents a pack. I don't know if you have those stores out west or not. I may have a problem, according to the info ya posted. I live just above the Florida line, and it is still very warm and humid here. 94 yesterday. I planted these things in full sunlight too. Maybe it will finally cool off a bit and I'll see how they come along.

chio88

This is an interesting article as I love spinach! Thanks! :)

ndorfinmachine

Well my spinach never sprouted :( But no problem though as I have some good looking mustards coming up in their place.

Hammer_Ga

I started my spinach indoors last winter. They transplanted well..lost 2 of 16. They bolted early do to the heat. I expected they would sprout again now that it is cool for a fall crop but it has not happened. Garlic is coming up and I keep watching for the spinach. Does it not reappear if left to go to seed?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I wonder why your spinach did not sprout? Perhaps it was too warm where you are?

If the seeds were for this year, they certainly should should still be viable (barring any unusual circumstances, like if they got damp, etc.).

Another reason they did not come up is slugs...they probably did come up, but the slugs/snails ate them right down before you knew it?

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I planted my spinach and lettuce a few weeks ago... hoping for some cooler weather and instead the temps jumped to almost 100 for a week straight. Neither the spinach or lettuce are doing anything though they were just planted and kept well watered. Could the heat alone be whats causing our seeds not to sprout? My beans, planted at the same time are doing great.

Looks like some of us may be replanting!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the heat alone will do it. Spinach is a COOL WEATHER crop. Does not sprout well in heat and if it does sprout, tends to bolt very fast. And no in my experience, even though the spinach bolts, it does not re-seed itself. I haven't paid enough attention to know if it doesn't actually set seed (some hybrid varieties are sterile) or it does, but the seeds don't sprout, but it has never re-seeded itself for me, even though I have let some go...

But yes, in appropriate weather conditions, it is quite easy to grow.

lily51
Greener Thumb

:) Our family all grow spinach in the spring...sprouts very easily, grew great. We do use new seeds...this year heritage seeds from Hart.
Our weather this spring was rainy and cool for March-mid June, always the deciding variable out of our control.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”