57ChevyChick

Collards

I live in Missouri and was wondering if it's too late to plant collards? Not from seed but plants. I purchased some at a nursery...they are about 6 inches or so.

I'm thinking with the bug population being so high right now...especially grasshoppers and crickets.....thinking about somehow covering each plant with some type of material....netting/mesh...where the sunlight can shine thru but keep out bugs.....

Any pointers on growing collards anyone??

Tey157
Cool Member

Hi 57CheveyChick,

I'm in Texas and I'm thinking of growing them from seed. So I would be intrested in what opions others have to offer here. :)

Arriga
Cool Member

I assume that if a nursery is selling the seedlings, they are safe to plant. Check out this website www.almanac.com. Choose gardening, then plant dates. Under outdoor planting talbe, click the box that says personalize this site and then enter your zip code.

As far as care of Collards, watch out for those hard to see catapillars. They are as green as the collards. They will eat your greens up! My first batch that I harvested looked like lace leaves :( . I also think flea beetles tear into them. The moth that lays the larva of these catapillars are white with a greenish-blackish dot on its wing.I ordered this organic product called Green Step from Gardens Alive. It keeps the moths away, kills the larva and the catapillar. Once I started using that, no problem :D .

I hope this helps.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”